Saturday, November 26, 2011

Gratitude Day 26

Thanksgiving is over, and we're on to Christmas! Yesterday afternoon we put up our little tree and decorated our house. Julia was so excited to put every decoration in exactly the same spot that it was last year. She remembered what went on the bookshelf, where the tree went, everything. I was so impressed. Unfortunately we put the tree in a new spot, and that was the cause of some grief, but I think she's getting used to the idea.

Anyway, the tree is up, and that means: tree time. Every night (or, at least, we try for every night, we don't always make it) we sit in front of the tree and have a quiet moment. It's a great time for everyone to wind down from the excitement of the day and enjoy being together as a family. We've done it the last two nights in a row. I absolutely love it.

It's an example of one of those rare quiet moments we get as parents. This is another one. I was thinking today about all the sacrifices we make as parents. When I signed up to be a mom, I signed up to barf for 3 months straight, face the possibility of heart failure for another 3 months, lose sleep for over a year (maybe 2 if you count the pregnancy), gain weight, lose sanity, wipe bums and noses, clean up messes, and any number of other thankless tasks. But, in return I get to read books in the rocking chair. I get to watch my children learn everything, from body parts to numbers to the way things work. I get to kiss pudgy cheeks and tickle baby toes. I get slobbery kisses in return, and lots of adorable giggles.

I live for the quiet moments that make all the work seem like nothing at all. I am grateful for the quiet moments.

No comments: