Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Joy

I had this memorable moment today. One of those times when everything just seems right in the world and you take a step back and think, "Can it get more perfect than this?"

We went over to the Chippewa Nature Center this morning for a little "hike" and play time. It was a cloudy morning, looked like it could rain any second, but I really wanted the girls to have some outdoor time, and with no sun it was really quite pleasant out. So we headed out on the path through the forest. And thanks to the shady trees, it was even cooler on our walk. Delightful!

So we are all walking, even Ella, and it's like she has never seen anything so lovely and exciting before. Which, actually, might be a little bit true. Usually she is strapped in on these jaunts. She was right down with the flowers and the leaves and the dirt and the squirrels, and she could not have been happier. At one point, I found a big stick for Ella, and then another one for Julia. There we were, walking under the trees on a warm (but not hot), cloudy day, the girls each carrying their sticks and looking like they were in heaven.

And it was like I mentally (spiritually?) took a step back and thought, "These are the moments we live for. This is what makes it all worthwhile." To have both girls so incredibly happy and fulfilled, to be surrounded by such natural beauty, to have a moment of much desired peace? That, my friends, is pure joy.

It only lasted about one minute, maybe two, and then we were back to reality. Ella fell down and then needed to be held. Julia wanted in on that action too, but I didn't have enough hands. I got a couple of bug bites. But oh, that one minute, maybe two, is something I'll treasure for the rest of my life. It reminds me how grateful I am to be a mother, and how wonderful parenting really is. Also? I have a Heavenly Father who loves me. A lot.

5 comments:

Sabrina said...

Beautifully captured moment, Shans. Those are the moments you live for, when all is right in the world.

Erica said...

love it. those moments are definitely what we live for and make everything so worthwhile. now if only they'd start happening just a wee bit more often ;)

Judy said...

Enjoy those little ones!

Karen said...

Love this post! You said it so well. :)

Natalie Jane said...

So lovely. It's those moments that keep us going.
thanks for linking up!