Here it is, the moment you've all been waiting for: my official 40 by 40 list.
I've separated these tasks into 8 categories because have you ever tried to make a list of 40 things you want to do? It's madness. But if you have a specific category, and you only have to think of 5 things for that category, it's much more manageable.
Some of these things are things I've never done. Some are things I want to do again. Some of them might not make a lot of sense to you right now so you'll just have to wait for the write up after I finish them. But I think this is a feasible list for where I am in life right now. Obviously I'd love to put "Travel through Europe for 6 weeks" or "Hike the entire Appalachian Trail" on here, but those things aren't really within my reach. I decided to focus on things that are very possible for me to do in the next 3 years and 8 months. I may or may not finish them all, but dang it, I'm going to try! Let me know if you'd like to join me on any of these adventures :)
1. Run a 5K. (The whole time. No walking)
2. Hike a mountain peak.
3. Go snowshoeing.
4. Hike the Fairyland Loop at Bryce Canyon National Park.
5. Go paddleboarding.
6. Visit all the temples in Utah.
7. Read all the standard works again.
8. Finish reading and help scan my grandparents' letters from WWII.
9. Read At the Pulpit: 185 Years of Discourses by Latter-Day Saint Women by Jennifer Reeder
10. Go to Music and the Spoken Word.
11. Write a hymn.
12. Learn the basics of playing the violin.
13. Perform somewhere with the Blockburger Family Band.
14. See an opera.
15. Go to a classical music concert.
16. Create some map artwork displaying all the places we've lived.
17. Create a Cherries Virtue recipe.
18. Make pajama pants for the family.
19. Make a new wreath for my front door.
20. Learn to make paper flowers.
Places to Go
21. Take my kids to Yellowstone.
22. Visit Yosemite.
23. See the Spiral Jetty.
24. Visit Canyonlands.
25. Visit Capitol Reef.
Things to Read
26. Finish reading 1776.
27. Finish reading all the Chronicles of Narnia.
28. Read North and South by Elizabeth Gaskill.
29. Read a Sherlock Holmes mystery.
30. Read a book of Emily Dickinson poems.
Things to Eat
31. Eat creme brulee.
32. Eat a macaron.
33. Eat a Kouing Aman from Les Madeleines.
34. Eat a Doner (Doener? I need an umlaut!) kebab.
35. Eat pie from Burr Trail Grill in Boulder, UT.
36. See a play.
37. Finish my denim quilt.
38. Write a short story.
39. Make homemade pop tarts.
40. Go to Gilgal Garden.
Celebrating Ancestor's Birthdays
1 day ago