Saturday, November 19, 2011

Gratitude Day 19

Not to get all Seriously So Blessed on you, or to be repetitive on my gratitude, but today I'm thankful for my musical talents.

I'm not a concert pianist, but I can play the piano pretty well. I can hold my own on the organ, as well. And, if we're being honest, I can sing. I can sing well. I can sing very well. I don't always say it like that, because I don't want to be braggy, and I'm certainly not a professional singer, but really, I sing well.

Unfortunately, I don't get a lot of opportunities to challenge myself as a musician. Or opportunities to perform. I'd love to join a community choir, or some small singing group. I really miss being a part of something like that. I miss taking on difficult music, practicing every week, and being surrounded by musicians that I really respect and admire. The ward choir is great, don't get me wrong, and it definitely has its place. But it's not quite enough for me.

But. With Christmas approaching, there is an increase in musical numbers all around. I get to practice the piano for our Messiah sing-along (and practice, and practice - Handel is hard). We've got a group together for a musical number at our Nativity Exhibit concert. There are lots of little opportunities popping up. I'm loving it.

Let the record show that if anyone ever needs a musical number, I am ready and willing.

Also, I think we're going to have to create a family band. Here's a little video, with Ella on the wrapping paper drums, and Julia on the blow-up guitar. They put on a rockin' show.

I especially like when Julia stomps on the guitar. Rock on!

No comments: