Thursday, November 02, 2006

Wretched woman!

This happened a while ago, but I was reminded of it today, and thought it was blog-worthy. We were flipping past the radio stations and when I heard the smooth sound of Delilah's voice, I had to stop. For those of you who don't know about Delilah (where have you been?), she is a radio DJ who takes requests and is just about as cheesy as they go. She is always busting out this corny "wisdom," and you never know when a real gem is going to come out, so of course I had to stop and listen to her.

This man called in, and he basically confessed that he has not paid much attention to his son lately. He was all choked up about it, you could tell he was crying, and he felt so bad that he has been too busy buying a new house and worrying about finances to go play ball with his kid. But he has had a change of heart, and wants to do better, and is asking Delilah to play a song for his son so that he'll know that he loves him. At this point, Delilah busts in there, and I'm pretty excited for her sympathetic ear, trying to make this man feel better. But no. She tells him that his priorities have been way off, and maybe he is feeling guilty for not spending time with his son, and he should reassess his life because kids don't care about mortgages, they care about quality time with their dads. I couldn't believe it! After this guy had confessed, and was quite penitent, she was telling him that he did a bad thing, and he should feel bad. He already does, woman! And then she plays a song for him - "Cat's in the Cradle." A song all about a dad who has no time for his son until he's all grown up, and then the son has no time for his dad, and the dad realizes the mistake, but it's all too late, and it's very sad. Wretched woman! Make the guy feel even worse, why don't ya? Unbelievable. Outrageous! So non-Delilah-esque.

4 comments:

Sabrina said...

Wow, that sounds more like something Dr. Laura would bust out. I have to say though the most exciting part of this post is your title. I know it's not your quote of the week, but I can definitely identify that one :)

Melissa said...

Oh how I hate Delilah! I hadn't heard her before we moved to Texas and thought that maybe the rest of you were being spared. I have the station that plays her set on number four, and they (and even she) play some good songs, but the second I hear her voice I have to change it. Yuck! Thanks for posting Shanny!

Suzanne said...

Eric D. Snider did a great Delilah article a year or two ago at Christmas time. You should definitely read it.

Shanny said...

The title, that was for you Bean. And I found that Eric Snider article, and indeed, it is funny. Should any of you desire to read it, go here: http://www.ericdsnider.com/snide/you-are-listening-to-delilah/