Friday, November 03, 2006

Rabid Squirrels

I was reading the paper this morning (by some stroke of luck we've been getting the paper before I leave these days, meaning before 8:00[St George seems to suck at newspaper delivery]), and found an interesting story amid the usual talk of the death toll in Iraq and the upcoming elections. A postal worker in Pennsylvania was making the rounds, delivering the mail, when he came to a house that had a squirrel on the porch. He didn't think much of it, put the mail in the box, but when he turned around to walk off the porch, the squirrel attacked! It ran up his leg and onto his back, and it bit him! He grabbed it by the tail and pulled it off of him, and he was screaming, which brought the attention of the neighbor (nobody was home at the squirrel house). I guess the squirrel was shot with a BB gun and sent to a lab to test for rabies. How random is that? And this was on the 2nd or 3rd page of the newspaper, and it wasn't one of those small briefs from around the nation. It was an article. I thought it was funny that this was newsworthy enough to make it to me in St George, UT.

And then I got to thinking about the rabies vaccine, and I remembered that when I was younger (maybe in the 2nd grade?) someone (I believe it was a fellow 2nd grader) told me that the rabies vaccine was so terrible because they gave it to you in your stomach. I don't think that is true, but it's odd that I remember that. Perhaps this is where my fear of animals comes into play? Could it be that I was so afraid of being bitten because I thought I'd have to get a shot in the stomach? Hmmm. . .

2 comments:

Alex said...

You know, I can't remember where but I've heard the same thing about rabies shots! Terribly painful b/c they give it to you on your stomach, and not just one... a series of them! Hmmm... I grew up in NY so its either a REALLY widespread rummor or perhaps there is a grain of truth in it?

Alex said...

AHA! Widespread rumor confirmed. After some research, I came upon NIH's website that had info on this vaccine. Nope, its not given on the stomach. Although it is a series of shots, the arm or thigh is the spot. Here is the link:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/uspdi/202719.html