Sunday, October 01, 2006

The Conference Report

Well, in in-laws were in town this weekend. It is kind of funny that while droves of people flocked to Salt Lake City for conference weekend, the Blockburgers left to come to St. George. Anyway, it was good to see them. It's nice having people visit us down here, so if anyone else feels any inclination at all don't hesitate, just act! Ok, so we don't have a couch yet, so it might be better for all involved if you wait until that comes, but that isn't so far away.

So, as said before, General Conference was this weekend, and boy was it good. I really do love it, I feel so uplifted and invigorated with the desire to live a better life, to do more for other people, and to keep the Savior the focus of it all. My favorite talk (though there were a lot of good ones, and many many runner-ups) was Elder Wirthlin's. He is one of my favorite speakers, I loved his talk from last conference about making our lives a masterpiece. And the man is funny. He has such a stiff demeanor on camera (not that I know how he is off-camera), but then he says these hilarious things that are made even better by his lack of expression. Anyway, he also says some amazing things, things that really stick with me. He talked about the crucifixion and the resurrection, and how the one was so terrible, the worst day in this history of the world (a Friday), and the other was so wonderful, the best day in the history of the world (a Sunday). So, my new favorite quote, and perhaps my new life motto, is, "We all have our Fridays. But Sunday will come!" What a great message of hope! There have been some less than perfect days in the last year (some people may have heard me say that 2006 is just not my year), but Sunday will come, things will get better, things will be great, it just takes time. So there is my insight from the conference, and the thing I will remember the most.

In not so related news, we finally got a newspaper! We ordered the Deseret News on Sep 21, it was supposed to start on the 23rd, after much calling and waiting on hold, we finally got our first copy on Friday (Sep 29), and it was the Salt Lake Tribune! I called to get it changed, but that hasn't happened yet. At this point I'm just glad to be getting news delivered to my house, and the Trib is actually a pretty good paper. I'll start the calling and waiting on hold tomorrow (it really does take about 15 minutes per call, and 13 of that is on hold), but for now, look at us, we're liberal!

No comments: