Thursday, October 26, 2006

Tidbits

I just heard a couple of interesting things in the news, and I thought I would share:

1) Apparently they have a new merit badge out - an anti-piracy badge. Here is a quote from the online article:

"Troops will choose from a number of activities that qualify them to earn a "Respect Copyrights" patch. Activities include creating a public service announcement demonstrating the importance of copyright protection or visiting a movie studio to learn about people, time and costs required to make a movie, as well as the economic impact the movie industry has on the state of California. "

It also says that they can learn to identify counterfeit CDs and DVDs. I thought that was interesting.


2) In the paper they mentioned that firefighters responded to a fire at the Salt Lake Mausoleum. The cremation of a 700 pound man apparently got a little out of hand. This is funny to me, although I feel guilty about it, because situations involving obesity and death should not be funny. But I still laughed.


And finally, while not in the actual news, a funny thing happened to me on the way to work this morning. I was driving along 700 South, where the speed limit is, oh, 30-35ish. Of course, I am behind a van going 20mph. I was slightly annoyed, but I just chalked it up to the van being a little slower. Whatever. However when we hit the flashing "School Zone" lights, where the speed limit drops to 20, he sped right on up to 30. What is that all about? Was the van out to annoy all drivers and hit small children? Luckily, I turned. But I thought in my head, oh, I'll be blogging about this, stupid van. The public will know of your crimes. Wait, what public, all the 3 people that read this thing? Dang it, foiled again!

1 comment:

Clark said...

Another fire related tidbit from the radio I heard. Apparently in Florida, the worlds largest roll of toilet paper caught fire. 1000 pounds of TP (for those who hate to change the roll) went up in flames. They didn't say what started the fire, or why it was in a truck in Florida.