Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Tune in

St George is not what you would call a large town. It's bigger than most of the towns in Southern Utah, don't get me wrong, but there are some areas where it is definitely lacking. One area in particular is radio stations. Back in Salt Lake, I had all of my radio presets full of stations for good music, all 18 of them. Now that we are down here, I've got 6. After much fiddling around, I found 5 or so stations that seemed to play good, modern music. The stuff I like. Then I realized that there were 2 channels for many stations. So that left me with 3 music stations. I then found an oldies station, so I've got that on there.

I set #5 when I discovered NPR. I used to listen to NPR on a fairly regular basis, I would listen on my commute. So I was sad when, on the drive down here, it faded out. But I found another channel that had NPR, so I was excited. Turns out, we get Nevada Pubilc Radio, as well as Utah State University NPR. This is good, the only problem being when I go home for lunch the Nevada station has some local program on, and no offense, but I really don't care that much about Nevada. And the USU station has a classical music hour. So those are pretty well ruled out during the drive home at lunch. This led me to further fiddle.

I discovered the final station on my preset during the aforementioned lunch hour, when nothing else was on the radio. I turned to a station that was playing good music, music that is not normally played on the radio, songthat I didn't actually know, but I liked them. And when the song ended, no commercial. No tagline either. It was great. I set it immediately, but #6. I was excited. I found out that it is the Dixie State College radio station, and unlike the one at the U, it has great reception. Needless to say, I was very pleased. Until I listened to the station that night. It was not the alternative/emo/rock music that I so adore. It was latin! Very latin! In Spanish and everything! Turns out this station plays the latin music in the evenings and in the mornings. I guess it's just the middle of the day when they play good stuff. But hey, when I need it the most, Dixie State is there for me. Go Rebels! (that is their mascot, right?)

No comments: