Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Fear of Salmonella

I know, I know, you all thought that 3 posts in 1 day was a record or something (unless you are Adam, and then it's a low number for the day), but now you are getting big fat #4!

I was just in the kitchen working with some raw chicken breasts, cutting off the fat, putting each breast in a Ziploc bag, and then sticking them in the freezer. I hate raw meat, ew, it's just gross and slimy and all I can think about are all the germs that are found therein. I pulled the chicken out of the package, and then I had to wash my hands so that I could get a knife and fork. And then, once I cut all the fat off, I put the breasts in the bags, and then I had to wash my hands again because I didn't want the bags to have chicken germs (technical term) on the outside when I sealed them up. So I sealed them up, and then I had to wash my hands again just in case there were chicken germs on the outside of the bag. Then I took out the trash, because no one wants rotting chicken fat in their home, and when I came back in I had to wash my hands. And then I rinsed off the cutting board and put it in the dishwasher, and then I had to wash my hands again because of potential chicken germs. And then I just couldn't stand the thought of all those chicken germs that could be out there, so I had to use a cleaner with bleach to wipe down the counter, the sink, all the drawer handles, and the front door handle, just in case. And then I had to wash my hands again. And then my hands still smelled like bleach, so I washed them one more time just to try and get that smell out. So, the big question I'm putting out there is: Do you think I've got OCD when it comes to raw meat? Or is this what most people do?

And now my hands are dry. Good thing I got some good lotion for Christmas!

3 comments:

Alex said...

Definitely OCD, my dear.. ;)

Suzanne said...

I think maybe you are being a tiny bit paranoid. It's good to be safe, but that's a lot of hand-washing!

Ben said...

It's called Clorox wipes... They do wonders.