Thursday, January 31, 2008

Nursery Rhymes

Clark has always given me a hard time about the way I sing Pat-A-Cake. I'll admit, the words I sing don't make as much logical sense. Here's how I learned it:

Pat-a-cake, pat-a-cake, baker's man!
Bake me a cake as fast as you can.
Roll it, and pat it, and mark it with a B,
And toss it up high for Baby and me.

I think it's quite obvious that you wouldn't toss a cake up high. Well, maybe you would, but it would turn into quite a mess. I realize that "Put it in the oven," would be much more appropriate. But then, do you roll and pat a cake? I certainly don't.

Today I was looking through some of our new Nursery Rhyme books (we got 2 of them from Baby Shower Weekend!), and I came across Rub-A-Dub Dub. It's a good little rhyme. So I read it:

Rub-a-dub dub,
Three men in a tub,
And who do you think they be?
The butcher, the baker,
The candle-stick maker,
And they all jumped out of a rotten potato.

Ah, such a good. . . . wait a minute. They all jumped out of a rotten potato? That's not right. That doesn't even rhyme! Let alone make sense! I always learned that the last line was, "Turn them out, knaves all three!" In any case, I got some enjoyment out of this alternate ending, so I thought I'd share. Has anyone heard it this way before? Any other good "alternate endings?" Or even just rhymes that you find strange?

3 comments:

PrincessKatie said...

How funny. I guess everyone has their own twists on all the nursery rhymes. That is so cool that you got books to hlep you learn/remember the words. Hailey loves to learn little sayings like that but I never can remember hwo some of them go! LOL Glad you are enjoying all your fun stuff from baby shower weekend!

Heather Bay said...

I know it's not really a nursery rhyme, but I've always been troubled by that "knick knack, paddy whack, give a dog a bone, this old man came rolling home..."

Hearing a class of 1st graders sing, "this old man, he played three, he played knick knack on my knee..."

Seriously. What the heck is this "knick knack" and why is he playing it on their knees?

erin said...

i am laughing so hard!