Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Another Solicitation

I love pie. Apple pie, cherry pie, pumpkin pie, banana cream pie, berry pie, just about every kind of pie. And I really love pie crust. Mmmmmm. . . . tasty. Unfortunately, I have to resort to buying pie crust at the store, because I don't really know how to make a good crust. The 1 recipe I have did NOT turn out well the one and only time I made it. And it's not that pie crust from the store is bad, but I am sure I would save money if I learned how to make it on my own. Actually, I don't make pie very often. Mostly that is because I'd have to go out and make a special trip to buy the pie crust from the store. Then I start thinking about how I shouldn't, about how we'd save money and be healthier if we just didn't have pie, and so it doesn't happen. But pie is so good! And I do want it! Anyway, the point is I'd like to have a good pie crust recipe, so if any of you have one, send it my way.

3 comments:

Adam Lowe said...

If you like pie, you should totally watch the movie Waitress.

Pregnant Miserable Self-Pitying Loser Pie: “Lumpy oatmeal with fruitcake mashed in. FlambĂ©, of course...”

alisquire said...

Here's the recipe my mom uses:

Cut in 1 1/4 c. Crisco with 3 c. flour and 1 t. salt. Combine 1 egg (well beaten), 5 T. cold water, and 1 T. vinegar. Enough for 2 pies. If you're not fond of Crisco like me, try this recipe:

Mix 1 1/4 c. flour and 1/4 t. salt; cut in 1/2 c. butter (chilled and diced). Stir in 1/4 c. ice water, 1 T. at a time. Refrigerate for 4 hours before rolling out. Enough for 1 9-in. pie.

I struggle with dough, so I have trouble making it look good. Plus, I never tend to roll it out enough, so it's always thick. But it tastes good! The Crisco makes it flakier, but the butter gives it a nice flavor.

Porters said...

I love pie too.I almost wish I didn't read this because now I want it. :) But I do have a really good recipe, I will email it to you after I get it from home. :)