Friday, January 11, 2008

Another Doctor Update

We went and saw Dr. Gonzales (the perinatologist) on Wednesday. Had our monthly ultrasound. Everything continues to look normal. He took a listen to my heart as well, and mentioned that it sounded even better than it did last month, he couldn't even "hear a gallop," so that is encouraging. Hopefully all this worry will be for nothing! He also mentioned that next month he wanted to get together with Dr. Fagnant (the OB), Dr. Chander (the cardiologist), and the anesthesiologist to discuss a birth plan for me. Here I've been reading all these books that talk about how important it is to create a birth plan, write it down, etc, and I'm going to have my doctors do the job for me. How fortuitous! Especially since I really don't know what I'd write in my birth plan - I want drugs. Lots of them. That's really all I've got. And I completely trust the doctors to make the right decision for me and Wombsly. So there is the update on that.

We also started our birthing class Wednesday night. It seems somewhat . . . elementary. At least the first class. I don't think they'll all be like that. It'll be good to take a tour of the hospital for one of the classes, and another class will be on infant care, which is great because it's been a long time since I cared for an infant really. The other good thing about these classes they are helping me mentally prepare for labor. It's one thing to hear about the process, it's entirely different to picture yourself going through it. And I'm sure going through it will be completely different still. So it's good to have some mental prep.

It's Friday. Maybe Clark and I will have to have an adventure tonight. Just so we have something to blog about.

5 comments:

Clark said...

Personally, I think all the classes will be just as elementary as the first. Also, there are a whopping 4 couples in the class. (But none of this means that it isn't a good class.)

alisquire said...

Our classes were pretty elementary and Tyler thought they were a waste of time. Ours was taught by a postpartum nurse and not a labor & delivery nurse. So she didn't know as much about the labor & delivery part, which was what I was most concerned about at the time. But I did benefit from the classes. Nobody seems to tell you much about how things are after you give birth. For me, that was the worst part, but really, everything isn't that bad. Good thing you're getting drugs!

Nadine said...

hey shannon...this is valerie jenkins. i stumbled across your blog through clarissa's. i'm glad to here that everything is going good so far. i'm glad the baby and you are doing great. e mail me at nadinejenkinsathotmaildotcom and i'll send you an invite to view our blog.

PrincessKatie said...

First off I am so glad to ehar that things are going well and that the doctors are going to be prepared witha birthing plan so you will all know what could happen and be prepared.


Second of al LOL OLOL LOL I think our whole prenatal class was beyond elementary. We watched some dumb movies and made a few good friends. I think just beinb around others in our same position help us out more than anything. Alos I think it mentally is helping you realize a baby is coming. THe tour of the hospital was the best though! My best friend Kate is one who I meet thruogh our class and we have stayed in contact and get together at least once a week. It is fun ot have someone with a kid the same age so you can rely on each other for advice. Alright sorry to go off...just had to tell you how much we loved our birthing classes!LOL

Karen said...

Justin and I did a tour of the hospital on our own, but never took a birthing class..don't tell anyone! ;) I'm glad things are going well, and if nothing else, you'll meet some cool people at your classes. You'll probably get more out of books or online, but I still think classes offer some good bits of info.