Friday, March 30, 2007

The Sabbath Day

As you all know, I have quite possibly the most boring job on the face of the planet. Not that I'm complaining, it pays well, and I love working from home. It's just really boring. And because of that, I listen to whatever I can to distract me from the work. Mostly music and NPR podcasts. And mostly RadioWest. It's an excellent show, I highly recommend it.

Anyway, today's segment of RadioWest had Craig Harline (a BYU professor of European history) talking about his new book: Sunday: A History of the First Day from Babylonia to the Superbowl. Basically they were talking all about Sunday: how people feel about it, how it came to be a day of rest, religious views of it, etc. It was a pretty good program. But the best part, in my opinion, was a story he told of a Utah farmer who decided to test the "Sunday is a day of rest" theory by planting a crop on Sunday, and only caring for it on Sunday. The results? Well, the crop actually turned out pretty good. So he put a sign over it that said, "This crop was grown on Sunday." Enter the "Hand of God," if you will. Lightening strikes the crop, it burns to the ground, and the sign is left hanging over it, now as a warning instead of a boast. Now that is funny.

No comments: