Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Let the cutting begin!

Last night was the first big sewing adventure. I'd like to point out that still nobody called me to remind me, but oh well, I had called around and found out the date and time, so we were good. It was "cutting night," they just wanted everyone to get their material cut out, and if there was time we'd do the sewing. Don't worry, there was no time to do the sewing. And I really don't know how every girl is going to be able to sew everything in just one more night, but whatever. There were probably 6 girls there, and their leaders (the non-sewers), and then 3 of us outsiders. So they thrust the patterns at us and we were off - the mass chaos began! I seriously felt like it was a whirlwind of a night. They have to make an apron, bloomers, a bonnet, and a skirt. The first three are all from a pattern, the skirt has no pattern, they are just sort of figuring it out. It was tricky, but I think everyone got everything cut out.

I was working with 2 girls. One of the girls was really cool, I liked talking to her and she seemed, while not entirely excited about being in the wilderness for 3 days, at least like she'd have a good attitude about the whole thing. The other girl kept leaving. She had to "get a drink." Yeah, she was totally going out in the hall to talk to some boys. But here is the funny thing. She was not what you'd call excited about this pioneer trek, and she was especially not excited about wearing "dorky clothes" in front of the boys. She was very concerned about this. And yet she was cutting her stuff out really fast (so that she could go get another drink), and let's just say it didn't turn out quite as straight as it could have. I wanted to tell her, "You know, the less time you spend here, the dorkier you look, and then all your 'drinks' will have done you no good, cause you'll look like crap." Of course I didn't. This was also the girl who asked, "So, are we staying in log cabins or what?" Um, log cabins? No, try sleeping on the ground under the stars. I think the trek will be tough for her, what do you think?

1 comment:

Sabrina said...

That girl sounds about as enthusiastic about the pioneer trek as I was, only it wasn't the boys I was so concerned about. Hopefully, though, she will be able to look back on it with fond memories even if she doesn't quite get it. That's what happened with me.