Thursday, March 22, 2007

4 years

It's official: I feel old.

I went visiting teaching today. We got a new girl, her name is Ashley, she's my choir buddy. Anyway, there is a certain amount of introduction that happens when you get a new visiting teachee, where are you from, what do you do, etc. So we do all that. It's good. A while later, we're talking about how we need to get our taxes done (yeah, I know, we live on the edge by waiting until April, it adds excitement to our lives), and Ashley is an accounting major, so she tells me about a volunteer student tax help group that can help you do your taxes. Great! And she says that if you just have W2's, it's pretty easy and pretty quick. Even better! And then I made a comment about how Clark was in school last year, and I couldn't remember if he got a grant or not for that last semester, but perhaps that would have to be factored in, just an offhand comment. And Ashley asks me, "Oh, did you go to school?" It was then that it hit me: I graduated almost 4 years ago. 4 years?! That's like enough time to go get another bachelor's degree! So I relay this sad fact, and my companion looks at me and says, "Whoa, 4 years? How old are you?" 25. "Really? I guess I just feel like everyone in our ward is the same age. I just assumed you were like 21." Which, really, I think there are a lot of 21-22 year old women in our ward. I'm just not one of them. It's a sad but true fact.

Don't worry, I know that I'm not really that old, I've still got a lot of life in my. It was just a harrowing moment to realize that I was 4 years older than the other 2 people in the room.

1 comment:

Sabrina said...

Oh man, do I feel your pain in my ward :)