Monday, March 19, 2007

Case of the Missing Newspaper, Part 20

I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but we have major problems with the Deseret News Newspaper Agency. First off, they were about a week late in starting the paper, and then we got the wrong paper for another week or so. And then there are multiple days where we just don't get the paper, and a lot of other days where the paper comes at about 10am. I realize that, living in St George, there can be delays and we might not get the paper at 7:00am, like those in the Salt Lake Valley do. I generally don't care too much as long as we get the paper. Our paper carrier has come to our door before, twice actually. She came one night to let me know that, "I did deliver the paper, so someone must be stealing it. I really can't do anything after I deliver it." I found that paper in the bushes about 3 weeks later. You might not be able to do much after you deliver it, but when you are throwing it you can make sure it doesn't land in the bushes. The second time she came by to apologize for the paper being late one day, as she was sick. We had quite the chat then about how it can be late, and she just has so many papers to deliver, and how she is so dependable, I'll always get my paper, I don't need to be calling in and complaining, she'll get them to me. And I told her that I just didn't know when to expect my paper, and you have to call in before 10 or else they can't give you a new paper. And she basically said, "Well, I'll always get it to you." LIES. (Imagine Dolores Umbridge's pen: I must not tell lies.) Just a week ago, we didn't get the paper. I called in at about, oh, 4 or 5pm, and the guy on the phone said, "I wish we could do something, but you need to call by 10am." I mentioned to him that I realize that things might be delayed because I live in St George, to which he responded, "Yeah, but it should be there by 10." And I also told him about my paper carrier telling me that she'll always get it to me, and he said, "You should never feel bad about calling us - if you didn't get the paper by 10, you didn't get the paper. And if there is a problem, we need to know about it so we can fix it." I was pleased with that, he was quite helpful, and made me better prepared if that crazy lady comes to my door again.

Fast forward to today. No paper. I called at 10. They said they'd send one out. It's 1:30. I called again. They said they'd send one out. I'll be totally ticked if we don't get it. And they will hear about it.

3 comments:

Shanny said...

I called a 3rd time. Still no paper. They credited our account, and they said they are going to work on the problem. Let's hope something gets worked out.

alisquire said...

That is too bad. We used to get the Deseret News (Tyler now gets it free at school), and one week we didn't get our paper for like three days in a row. Tyler waited until the 3rd day and then called them, and the next morning our doorbell rang at 5:00 a.m. Of course it woke us up, and Tyler went to the door. The delivery lady was at the door and started yelling at Tyler about how she delivers the paper every day and he shouldn't be calling to complain. Very rude. We were not pleased.

Sabrina said...

Wow, you guys both have psycho carriers. I've never heard of them actually coming to your door to chew you out.