Thursday, December 21, 2006

Chimichurri

I seem to do well with the food posts, so here is another one. Wednesday is the best day to get the paper because it has the Food section. I was reading this beloved section yesterday, when Clark looked over my shoulder, pointed at a picture on the next page and said, "What is that?" They have a picture of some steak on toast with a bowl of green stuff next to it. It did not look very appetizing. So I read the article. Turns out this stuff is called chimichurri, and it's apparently "the greatest condiment known to man." (Clark said Sabrina would be the true test of that statement) This stuff seems pretty simple, it's made of parsley, olive oil, red wine vinegar, oregano, cumin, salt, garlic, and crushed red pepper. It doesn't seem so fancy to me. But it seems to be getting rave reviews. This is the quote in the paper: "You could enjoy rank roadkill if there was chimichurri on it." I'd say that is rather strong language. Have any of you heard of this miracle condiment? Or better yet, tasted it?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, my gosh! I just clipped the same recipe this afternoon. We must be related. I have no idea what chimichurri is, either. I expected to see it listed as an ingredient, and instead you apparently make it from scratch. Maybe we can experiment this week...

Alex said...

I've had Chimichurri!!! Its very popular in Uruguay, where my dad is from. You find it on every table like you would kechup, here. Good stuff! Rather strong tasting, but definitely good stuff!

alisquire said...

George totally made chimichurri! He saw that article in the newspaper and made the steak on toast recipe for our Las Vegas Bowl party. It was pretty good!