Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Silver Lining

I was feeling all encouraged yesterday to try solid foods with Julia yet again. I mixed up just a little bit of rice cereal, but fed it to her with a different spoon. No dice. She actually started gagging. So I pulled out some sweet potatoes, because that's the only baby food we had in our pantry. I decided to feed that to her on my finger, to see if that helped. Alas, no. Apparently it's not just spoons, but all foreign objects being shoved toward her mouth. Though, she didn't gag with the sweet potatoes. Just made a face that indicated, "Ew, ew, ew, what is this, get it out of my mouth." And then she started crying.

SO, I've decided that my darling daughter just isn't ready yet. We're still going to get a highchair, so that she can sit at the table with us at dinner. Maybe that will pique her curiosity enough to get her eating solids, I don't know.

But wait! Before you go thinking that I was just so sad and miserable about the whole experience, there is a silver lining. I realized that I have had a grudge against sweet potatoes for many years, as they are lumped into the whole "vegetable" category that I have despised until recently. But as I opened the baby food container, they didn't smell so bad. That's right folks, I had a taste. Heaven knows Julia wasn't going to eat any more, why not have a sample? And you know what? I kind of liked them. I think they'd be better warmed up and with some spices, but still. This is perfect timing - Thanksgiving is right around the corner!!! I'm going to be able to add another vegetable to my list! WOOT!

6 comments:

Alex said...

Heehee... I still eat Banana Tapioca baby food. ;)

Celeste said...

I wish that I had mounds of good advice to send your way but alas my 'eat everything in sight' son has never given me much experience with the other end of the feeding thing, just the "more more more" end. And you know the longer she goes without the solids the easier it is to feed her on the go without forgetting to bring it along.

Em said...

ha ha. May you enjoy thanksgiving even more this year...

Melissa said...

Maybe Julia is teaching YOU to eat solid foods! :)

Lindsey Montague said...

Josh loved eating at 4 months, but Jack would make not just gag but make himself throw up. On command! Gross. He just wasn't ready either. You should try making your own baby food. (I know that sounds hippie-ish) All you do is cook up and mash/blend whatever veggie/fruit you want to try, and it tastes SO much better. You can freeze it in little ice cube trays for future if she isn't ready now. You also save tons of money.

Cheryl said...

Yeah. You can borrow our masher and covered ice cube trays if you'd like! Z will eat anything now, but wouldn't take solids until 8 months.