Friday, October 31, 2008

Ice Cream Goodness

I went to Coldstone this afternoon to pick up some gift cards. (I may have just ruined the birthday surprise for a couple of people. But really, are you shocked to know that we bought you Coldstone for your birthday? That's classic Blockburger gift-giving. Who doesn't love ice cream?)

Anyway.

We walked in the store (Julia and I) just behind an elderly couple. It appeared that they had never actually been to Coldstone before, as they began sampling lots of different ice cream flavors. Sampling, and sampling, and sampling. Trying to make a decision.

Now, there have been days in my life when all this sampling on their part, and thus the waiting on my part, would have caused me great frustration. When waiting in line was the most terrible thing that could ever happen to me. When (I thought) I had places to go, people to see.

But that day was not today. I made the conscious decision to just relax, and enjoy watching them experience all my beloved Coldstone flavors for the first time. (A calm baby may have contributed to my sense of ease.) And honestly? It was totally worth it that I walked in after them. They were tasting the Sweet Cream, the Cake Batter, the Oatmeal Cookie Dough, the Pumpkin, all those flavors that I savor and crave, and it made me smile inside. And probably on the outside, too. The guy behind the counter was so kind to them, giving them suggestions, looking so happy to let them sample as much as they liked.

And then I saw that they were missionaries, and that made me smile even more.

And then, AND THEN, to top it all off, when they went to pay, he said, "You know what? Missionaries eat free today. Enjoy."

There really are good people in the world. And I am so grateful that I got to see some of that goodness in action today. Thanks Coldstone.

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

CUTE story!

PrincessKatie said...

What a darling story. I love it. Jared says the missionaries occasionaly come into the gas station and the head guy alwasy tells them they are free. I love that there are good people out there.

PS COLDSTONE is the best!

Megan D. said...

I love that story! Thank you for sharing. It is good to know there are such great people in this world!

Nadine said...

mmmmm...cake batter with chocolate chip cookie dough. i want it.