Monday, September 22, 2008

NOT a smoke-free environment

Why why why oh why do people smoke? I seriously don't get it. It's well documented that cigarettes cause health problems. There are all those commercials on TV, they teach about it in schools, and every cigarette commercial has a surgeon general's warning right on it. It's bad for you. And it's an expensive little habit. And besides that, it STINKS! Really bad! And if you are a smoker, you stink! Really bad! It yellows your teeth, your clothes all smell smoky and nasty, your apartment stinks. Gross.

Oh, excuse me, your apartment doesn't stink because you decide to smoke outside. So my apartment stinks. My mistake.

It's finally cool enough at night to open windows. This is one of my favorite things - it makes things feel fresh again. No more stale AC air! We get cool breezes! Except that we opened our windows at 9:30ish, only to find that smoky smell wafting in. And by the time you smell it, it's too late. It's in. If you close your windows, the smell is trapped inside. You leave them open, and you get more of it. It's just a nasty, rotten trick played on you by said cigarette smokers. Smoker neighbors: Dude. Just quit. You'll be happier, I'll be happier. I'll even buy you a patch! And gum! Just quit. It's for the best.

We did close our windows for a while, and lit a candle in hopes that the smell would lessen. It sort of worked. So now it's 11:30, and we opened the windows again. IT'S STILL SMOKY OUTSIDE. Excuse me, how long does it take to smoke? 2 hours?! How many of those things are you going through? Or is it 2 different neighbors? We live next to idiots.

Only 3 more nights here.

7 comments:

Matt said...

Here is a good quote:

"There are two things that you cannot be today, Intelligent and a Smoker"

Celeste said...

That is one of the worst smells I can think of. I especially hate it when Craig has to breath it! At least the days of enduring it are almost over...Yeah for moving.

Suzanne said...

My neighbors do the same thing! Only I live upstairs, so when they smoke they are standing directly underneath my open bedroom windows! And I don't have AC. So I just have to pull the sheet over my head and have a stinky house.

Thank goodness for Febreeze.

ilikewinter said...

It.Drives.Me.Crazyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Porters said...

I love it. Well I hate it, but I am glad you posted this because we can very very much relate. I don't understand it either but Brandon and I decided how much fun it would be to carry a squirt gun around these stinky apartments, and shoot a stream of water right at the cigarette and sizzle it out. That would show 'em right?

PrincessKatie said...

Yeah for closing on yoru house and getting your own place. It's so scary but lots of fun. I can only imagaine what you must be feeling right now. Julia is getting so big already I can't believe it. She is too cute. HOpefully we will get to see youguys again sometime soon!

Kim said...

Grr... I hate that. My French family smoked like crazy (yes, all of them, including the kids) and I wouldn't be surprised if I get lung cancer from just that one experience. And I agree - it doesn't really make much sense.