Friday, September 19, 2008

Heaven

Sometimes Julia has a hard time falling asleep. She's tired, so she gets cranky, which gets her all worked up, and then she'll never fall asleep, which makes her more tired, more cranky, etc. You all know about that cycle, I'm sure. Last night was one of those nights. I try to let her cry for a little while, and then I'll go in and try to calm her down without picking her up. Pat her back. Give her a binky. Roll her onto her side. And then I leave the room again. Last night we did this a fair number of times. At some point, her cries became somewhat frantic. And so, I decided it was time to pick her up and see if that wouldn't help calm her down.

I picked her up. She stopped crying. And she rested her little head on my shoulder. That little head that is always on the move, trying to see what is going on, was just resting on my shoulder. I held her for about 1 minute, and then I put her down. She fell right asleep.

That 1 minute? That, my friends, is what heaven feels like.

1 comment:

Lindsey Montague said...

Yes it is. And much too rare.