Friday, July 25, 2008

More from Colorful Colorado

You've got to admit, I'm getting better about taking pictures. Instead of taking zero, I now take like 10. Sure, I've got room to improve, but I'm on my way.

Here are some pictures from our Colorado Adventure! (Colorado Caper?) This is from our motel in Green River - the Robber's Roost. Like Clark said, it was like staying in your friend's grandma's basement, but it served our purposes very well. We just needed a place to rest our heads until morning. We were glad to see that they were Proud Pirate Sponsors.

Once we got checked in to the motel, we decided to go grab a bite to eat. Unfortunately, the one fast food restaurant in town (the Burger King in the gas station) closed at 9:45, which is about 1 minute before we arrived. Our other options included this winner:

Mexican "Food?" Yeah, that isn't encouraging. So we decided to go to one of the gas stations and get some packaged sandwiches and pop tarts for breakfast. This gas station had an "Internet Cafe," which consisted of one computer in the middle of the store. Woo. Mental note: do not go to Green River on vacation. You'll be sadly disappointed.

As you can imagine, our hotel in Colorado Springs (the La Quinta) was a palace compared to the Robber's Roost. It had a pool, the rooms were nice, and it even had a cute little gazebo that Lauren enjoyed sitting in. She had to try out every chair. And she told me what color everything was as well. Smart girl.

We went on one adventure every morning, and then had the afternoon to relax, swim in the pool, take a nap, and just hang out.

The first day, we went to Cave of the Winds. I took exactly zero pictures of this.

The second day we went to Garden of the Gods. This is a beautiful place, made me feel right at home with all the red rocks. We went on a loop walk/hike. Julia flipped out right after we hit the halfway point. So the trip back was a fast paced walk with a crying, hungry baby. But it was still beautiful. Here's a photo of some people and some rocks:

For dinner one night we went to a Mexican restaurant, Jose Muldoon's. I got some Pollo Bippolabampo (or something like that), and it was tasty. Jessica got cold, so she borrowed Julia's blanket:

On Tuesday we took the train up to the top of Pike's Peak. Pike's Peak is 14,110 feet high. This is the highest either Clark or I have ever been.

And while the train ride was fun, and the view was spectacular, we both agreed that being on top of a mountain isn't quite the same unless you hike it. It was still incredible to see, and it was still a fun experience, but you don't get quite the same rush as you do when you've worked hard to get there. Not that I'm going to hike Pike's Peak any time soon, I'm just saying. As a side note, I think Angel's Landing is on our agenda to do this year. I may or may not make that last 1/2 mile with the double drop offs, but I was encouraged by our hike a week or so ago. Which I never posted pictures from. Stay tuned, I'll get around to it one of these days.

Wednesday we drove home. It was long.

And that's our trip. We really had a fantastic time, and it was wonderful to see the whole Blockburger clan. Julia has now met all her aunts, uncles, and cousins, which I think is pretty good for 3 months old. Now, to all you folks who were on the trip and actually took pictures, send us copies! There were a lot of fun pictures taken, and we'd love to get our hands on them. This means pictures of everyone, not just us. We want to see the Lowes at Pike's Peak! We want to see Jessica at Garden of the God's! We want to see the Shaefers at Cave of the Winds!
And now I'm guessing you all want to see this blog post end.

Fin.

2 comments:

alisquire said...

Bippolabampo? Ha! Did it have gorgonzola? ;)

Emily said...

Looks like you guys had fun, Colorado is so beautiful! Hey, did your mom tell you that my parents are moving to Daybreak?! I'm so excited for them, they're going to be practically around the corner from your mom & dad! How fun!