Friday, July 25, 2008

I Believe in Family.

I've become somewhat of a blog stalker lately. I have this lovely half hour about 6 times a day where I can sit here and read all the blogs I want (it's called "feeding time for Julia"). I guess I don't always read blogs, sometimes I read a book or a magazine or the newspaper. But I really enjoy feeding time, because it's become My Time, in a way. Multi-tasking at its best.

So I have this blog that I've just started reading, hola isabel! It's really quite good. Yesterday I was reading this post, and that coupled with our little Blockburger family reunion trip got me to thinking: we are blessed to have a wonderful family. Hopefully you don't think I'm Seriously so blessed. I just love my family - including my in-laws. We had such a great time on this trip to Colorado, just being with everyone. Sure there were stressful moments (how could there not be with 10 adults [I count Jessica as an adult] and 6 kids?), but I reveled in the chance we had to relax and hang out with family. We only see the Lowes about once a year, but when we get together it feels so comfortable, like no time has past. Same thing with my brother and his wife. I can't imagine going 30 years without seeing my siblings, that is completely unfathomable. Maybe it's because I had all sorts of aunts and uncles close by when I was growing up, but family is important to me. In fact, it's the most important thing in my life. On the drive home yesterday, I kept wishing that we lived closer to all these people. Salt Lake isn't too far away, but Colorado is far, and Texas and New York are even farther. And I don't even want to think about how far Germany is.

So if you are a member of my family, know that I love you and I enjoy every minute I get to spend with you. And maybe one of these days my good intentions will turn into actual phone calls. Did you know that I'm terrified of making phone calls? I have no problem answering the phone, I just have this terrible paranoia about calling someone. What if they are too busy? What if I'm interrupting? What if they don't want to talk to me? And when I finally make the decision to dial, what do I say? I was thrilled the day I learned you can order Cafe Rio online, because then I didn't have to call and talk to someone. They say you should do one thing every day that scares you. My quota is filling up fast with this baby stuff (I'm scared to clip her fingernails, and sometimes to leave her alone in her room all night [what if she quits breathing?!]), but maybe one of these days things will get less scary and I'll make the darn phone call. Maybe.

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

I HATE making phone calls too! And if I don't know who is calling (our landline doesn't have caller ID), I will not answer it 99% of the time. Matt usually ends up making most return phone calls for me, otherwise, they are not made! I've even made Matt call and give my information as his. Yeah, I don't really think he sounds like a 'Cheryl' but as long as he gives the right ssn or address, they don't care!

Isabel said...

What a great post. It's important to remember how blessed we are and to remember to be thankful for our families.

(Germany? We're going there next month. Do you want me to look your family member up and say "Hi!"??!!)

I think we're so lucky in this day and age to have technology that helps us stay in better touch with our families...things like free long distance on our cells, e-mails and of course BLOGGING!

Sabrina said...

I can't imagine not seeing your siblings for 30 years either. I don't think I could imagine not seeing each other for more than a year, but that will probably change with all of soon to be living in different states.

It's so funny you mentioned seriouslysoblessed too. It seems to be everywhere these days. Funny stuff. I don't think you're quite like TAMN.

And, you know how I feel about phone calls. I love chat programs for that very reason, and admittedly, I am starting to enjoy text messaging :O

Emily said...

I've also enjoyed blogging so much now that I'm staying at home w/ Blake (I usually get to check mine during morning nap or after he's gone to bed). But I know what you mean about having some "me" time! It's kind of my way of feeling like I'm still socially connected even though I don't go to a job every day. ;) And I totally get you with the great family thing, we're so lucky!