Friday, July 11, 2008

What a Week!

We had another whirlwind weekend up north. Actually, I guess it was almost a week. Wow, time flies.

We headed up to my parents' house first to spend some time with the Anderson family. Stewart and Michelle were in town, and we thought it would be nice for Julia to meet her Uncle and Aunt. Silly Uncle Stewart:

Michelle and Julia looking at Silly Stewart:
(She'll meet Aunt Melissa and Uncle Adam next week, along with all those cousins, and then she'll have met the whole fam!) For the 4th of July, we (the Anderson and Tvedtnes families) went up City Creek for a hike/walk, and then had a picnic lunch at Memory Grove. After lunch, some people played sand volleyball, but I stayed inside. It's called air conditioning, my friends, and it's a beautiful thing. Besides, the babies were sleeping.
Julia and Alex. Alex is Julia's 2nd cousin, and Stewart and Michelle's nephew. They are 11 days apart, so it's fun to see them side by side. And what did we do the night of the 4th? Went to bed. Yes, it turns out we're getting old. (Just tonight Clark and I were talking about this. He asked an interesting question: when does middle age start? And are we getting close to that? I feel like we're barely old enough to be married, let alone have a kid. Let alone be middle aged. That's enough of that talk.) On the upside, Julia went to sleep, and we didn't have to worry about the fireworks waking her up because we didn't see any.

So after a couple of days with my parents, we spent some time with the Blockburgers. Julia really liked to hear Grandpa Blockburger sing, especially when he was singing Julia by The Beatles:
Oh, and we visited the Porters. It had been far too long since we'd last seen them, and we were so glad that we managed to be in the same town at the same time. Laneah really liked the baby. This is the only picture that turned out OK. And my child looks possessed, but I don't have the energy to take out the red eyes.

Then we headed down to Provo for a few days. Clark had some business in Orem, so we got to stay in a hotel, which was fun.

Monday night we had dinner with Clark's old roommates. It was so great to see everyone! We broke tradition by having a potluck dinner at Brian's house instead of meeting at Brick Oven, and I thought it turned out rather well. There are too many children involved these days to have a successful gathering at a restaurant. This was much better. And we had Cafe Rio-esque burritos/salad. Mmmmmmmmm. Yummy. And don't worry, I didn't take a single picture.

Sabrina and I went visiting on Tuesday. And boy did we see a lot of people! We saw Al and Tyler's new house (but we missed baby Kate by 2 days!). I even remembered to get a picture of the 3 little girls together:

Nobody looks thrilled to be there, but at least everyone sat still long enough for a snapshot.

After that we had lunch at Pei Wei with Anna and Margo, and Margo's adorable children. Julia had a major blowout. I used about 10,000 wet wipes. Good times. Then we headed back to my mom's house so Adie could nap, I could feed Julia, and Sabrina could see the house. It took us a really long time to get there, we were foiled at every turn. Seriously, it took us 1/2 hour to get from Sugarhouse to the freeway. There was just no good way to go, construction all over the place. And who knew you can't get on I-80 these days? Obviously we didn't. Anyway, we headed out west, and after visiting with my mom for a little while, we went over to Amber's house to meet baby Zoe. She is so sweet, and so small. Hello, I had a baby less than 3 months ago, and I can't believe how tiny Zoe was. They change so fast. It makes me wonder where my newborn went. And, of course, I forgot to take pictures.

We're almost done, I promise. I just have two more pictures to post. Since we stayed at a hotel that had a swimming pool, Julia went swimming for the first time.

She doesn't look too sure in this one:
Yay for swimming! Remember how everyone has to wear swim diapers now? Well, the smallest ones I could find are for babies 16-26 lbs. I may have a round baby, but she's not that big. So the diaper basically went up to her chest. Not exactly a good fit, which is what makes swim diapers work so well. Oh well, we went swimming anyway. And Julia had a pretty good time. For the first while she had this look on her face like she was trying to figure out what was going on. But by the end she seemed a lot more relaxed. Not splashing and smiling, but relaxed.

So there you have it. A very long blog post about our very fun week.


Sabrina said...

I love all the pictures. We had a great time with you!

Porters said...

I am so glad you guys came! I have some funny pics that I will email you...

Karen said...

I'm bummed I missed you this time, but we'll have to catch you the next time your in town! I think we'll want to head south once it's a little cooler. Like October...;)