Thursday, March 13, 2008

Indexing Find

Now that I've got most of the baby stuff ready to roll, I've been looking for other productive things that I can do while I'm waiting for Wombsly's arrival (4 weeks!!!). Then I remembered that I am all signed up and trained to do FamilySearch Indexing. It's really pretty cool, and it makes me feel like I'm helping out the family history effort even though I'm not doing anything for my own family. To be honest, I have no idea what to do with my own family. I'm past the, "Fill out your 4 generation chart," and, "Ask your parents and grandparents for information," stages, which is basically all they tell you about at Family History firesides. It's a complicated tale, but basically I'm stuck and have no idea what to do. But this Indexing thing is fantastic!

And now, the point of this post. I am currently indexing the 1925 South Dakota State Census, and one of the fields is "Church Affiliation." And I've come across an LDS family! Now, remember, this is South Dakota in 1925, so I doubt there were many church members there. And even though I'm indexing this census through the church, it's still a state census. I don't know why that made me so excited, but it did. So I had to share.

No comments: