Wednesday, November 08, 2017

Relief

Last night our Relief Society held a progressive dinner (appetizers at one house, dinner at another, dessert at yet another).  I was determined to go, but I was pretty nervous.  I've been to a few activities here already, and most of the time I sit by myself and wish someone would talk to me.  Same thing on Sundays. 

Tonight was different.  I met a lot of new people, had some great conversations, and genuinely had a good time.  I was so relieved. 

Which got me thinking about the term Relief Society.  When I focus on that word "relief" I think about feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, relieving the poor, that kind of thing.  But tonight was a relief for my soul, a safe haven, a place to feel welcome and loved.  It was a glimpse of what Relief Society is all about, what it can and should be.  It made me realize that sometimes we need to offer spiritual relief, as well as temporal.

I recently read this article on By Common Consent about what sisterhood really looks like, and my heart ached for the tight bonds of friendship and love she describes.  I've been so blessed to feel those bonds in other places I've lived, and I hope and pray that we can create the same thing here.  It's what we all crave as sisters.  Women need other women.  We need the strength more experienced women can offer.  We need new perspectives and insights.  We need that sisterly love.  As a church, we need good, strong, functional Relief Societies. 

No comments: