Wednesday, November 01, 2017

Post #1

Well hey.  It's November 1st.  My last post was July 15.  So many changes since July 15.

We are now in Utah!  The girls are settled into the local school, and I've recently picked up a part time job at said school (PE teacher! Woo!).  I start tomorrow.  I'm excited and terrified.  Excited to have a job, to stretch myself, to be around kids.  Terrified of having a job, stretching myself, and being around kids.  I'm sure you all understand.  I'm mostly hopeful, though.

I've got a new church calling, which was extended about a week after we got here: ward organist.  I play every other week.  Clark also got a new calling: ward organist.  He plays every other week.  We make a great team.  In this and in all things.

We're trying to find the new normal here, trying out new libraries, finding new local events, making new friends.  It's mostly going well, but making new friends is SO HARD.  People are busy and I don't want to be annoying, so I generally fly under the radar.  I don't stay long at church events.  Almost half the time is spent sitting by myself, wishing someone would talk to me.  "It takes time," I say in my head over and over again, but I hate that it takes time.  I wish we were done with this time business, and already to the part where we felt comfortable, where we recognized people, where people recognized us.  Sadly I haven't found a way to speed up this process.  Luckily, kids make friends more easily, and the girls have found people to play with both at school and in the neighborhood.  We live in a great neighborhood full of kids.  That has helped immensely.

I've decided to do something bold for the month of November.  I'm going to attempt to write something every day on this here blog.  It's been neglected for so long, and I'm just sure I have a lot to say. (That last phrase may or may not have had a hint of sarcasm in it.)  My goal is 30 days of posts, but I'd even be happy with 25.  I've come to the realization that I really do love to write.  It makes me happy.  But I don't do it nearly enough.  Hence my November Challenge.

1 down.  29 to go.

6 comments:

Mindy said...

Moving is hard. Really hard. And making friends as an adult is...not impossible. It takes time is my mantras I feel you friend. Hope your first day went great (way to use your degree!)!

Laura said...

Yay! I love this goal!! I'm excited to hear more of what you have to say. :-)

Sorry to hear about the organist calling ... again ... and probably not for the last time either. :-(

We miss you. I MISS YOU! You were my safety net at church events and now you aren't there and let's be honest, I don't much like it.

I'm glad the kids are finding good friends both at school and the neighborhood. I'm excited to hear how the first day on the job went!

keri said...

Congratulations on your new job! You will do great!!! And good luck!

Making friends in a new area is just so dang hard! And ward functions, well, don't judge yourself on those. Those are just plain painful anytime. Love you lady! It wont take long for those there to see the beauty in you. Miss you.

Melissa said...

Congratulations on the new job! Subbing in PE is my favorite, so I am a little jealous and really hope you have fun!

Judy said...

Good luck with your new job, and I hope you feel settled soon. That making friend business really is difficult. I still really miss my friends from our old neighborhood, and I moved almost 10 years ago. I am glad you will be writing because you are a great writer. Unfortunately, life is quite hectic for me in the next month or so, so I probably won't be able to read your blog daily, but I look forward to the days when I can. The Blockburgers are awesome!

Laura said...

Yay! I was just thinking of you guys a day or so ago. We miss you all dearly. Losing your and our neighbors so close together sucked. I hope things "speed up" for you soon, even if it's just one person. One turns into two, two into three. I've come to the conclusion recently that making friends as an adult stinks, period. Hugs Shannon!