Thursday, November 09, 2017

Listy Thursday

Books I've recently read:
  1. March: Book One by John Lewis: I don't normally read graphic novels, but I won this one at our last trivia night, and it was so good I checked out book two and book three.
  2. Calvin by Martine Leavitt: Kim reviewed this over on Bookburger, and it sounded great so I checked it out.  It was definitely worthwhile reading.
  3. The Invisible Wall by Harry Bernstein: This was a book club pick.  It's about growing up in industrial England on a street that was half Jewish and half Christian.  I made it all the way to the epilogue before I realized it took place just before WWI, not WWII.  Doh.  Still a good read, though.
  4. Fish in a Tree by Lynda Mullaly Hunt: I read this one for Julia's library book club.  It's about a girl who has dyslexia, finding a way to navigate the world.  It's a good one to remind kids that everyone has their struggles, and you should quit being a jerk.  PS, I love that Julia goes to a book club.  Good job, Salt Lake County library.
  5. Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie: I reviewed this one on Bookburger.  It's an oldie but goodie.
  6. The Dressmaker by Kate Alcott: I just finished this one today.  Another book club pick.  It's about a young girl who tries to escape her life of servitude by sailing to America with a wealthy designer.  Only they sailed on the Titanic.  And that didn't go well.  A fascinating look at what happened after the ship sank and everyone made it back on land, which is something I had never thought about before.

No comments: