Tuesday, November 07, 2017

Day 2

Day two of teaching PE.
  • I was terrified of having 6th graders.  Turns out 6th graders are awesome.  It's the 1st graders you have to watch out for.
  • I had a kid thank me for letting them play a game today.  Um, it's elementary school PE.  There should be games every day.  Apparently they have done a lot of sit ups, push ups, jumping jacks, and running laps the past couple of months.  I would contend that PE at this age should teach kids to like exercise.  I don't know very many adults that like to do sit ups and push ups, let alone kids.  The trick is to find exercise that you like to do.  Kids like games.  So that's what we will do.
  • I told a class that my last name is Blockburger, and one kid's hand shot right up.  He said his last name is McDonald, so we basically get each other now.
  • I get to go to work in workout clothes, and that is pretty amazing.
  • Some kids can be pretty mouthy, and my first impression is that they are trouble.  But in the end every kid has some goodness in them, you just have to be willing to coax it out of them.  I found myself remembering this more than once today.

No comments: