Wednesday, April 02, 2008

The many doctors of 4/2/08

I had my last appointment with Dr Gonzales today (He's the perinatologist; I see him monthly). We did an ultrasound, everything looked good. Except that Wombsly wasn't moving much. I actually noticed yesterday that her movement had decreased, but I did some fetal kick counts last night and she passed the test. But the doctor was a little bit concerned, so we did a non-stress test. And she passed. Hooray! All is well! He told me to just see my OB on Friday, and we'll take it from there.

A couple of hours later, I got a call from my OB's office. "Dr. Fagnant just read the notes from your visit with Dr. Gonzales, and he would like you to come in this afternoon." Um, what? That seems weird. . . So I went in. Apparently Dr. Gonzales had written in his notes that the baby scored 2/10 on her biophysical profile. Just in case you are too lazy to follow the link, this profile measures 5 things through a non-stress test (NST) and an ultrasound: heart rate, muscle tone, breathing, movement, and the amount of amniotic fluid. Each category is worth 2 points. So you can imagine Dr Fagnant's alarm at reading the 2. Not good. He was fairly certain this had to be a typo, because what kind of doctor would give out a 2 and then send the pregnant lady on her way? But he felt that it was better safe than sorry, so I went in and he did another ultrasound, just to double check that everything was alright. She wasn't moving much at first, but eventually she perked up, and then we got all the components we needed. He gave her 8/10, I think just because it took some time to check off the good muscle tone, and because he didn't do an NST. Phew!

To summarize: we had a little scare, but all is well. Lots of worry for nothing. However, it's better safe than sorry, so I'm fine with them doing all the tests they want. 39 weeks today!!!

3 comments:

Greg * Steph * Andrew said...

I am so glad to hear that everything is good! I can't wait until you have the baby! You will have to call me when you have her so we can get meals and things set up for you! I just can't say it enough, I am so excited for you guys!

PrincessKatie said...

I am glad to hear that everything wa sokay. I can't believe you are already to the end. I keep looking every few hours to see if any news has been posted yet. I wish I was there to help you get the rest of thew ay ready. I hope you are feeling ready for the fun adventure in the next few weeks! Tahnks for stopping by my blog the other day...Itw as nice to have a comment from you!

Em said...

I'm getting so excited for you guys! I'm sure not anywhere close to how excited you are right now... Glad everything is going well!