Wednesday, April 30, 2008

AI

Prepare to be shocked. This is not a post about Julia. *GASP!* Hey, it was bound to happen sometime.

Anyway, I watched American Idol last night, as usual. We're down to 5, and they all are pretty good. However, Jason Castro just isn't doing it for me these days. He had a couple of good performances, and I do think he's a great musician and should get a record deal, but out of the 5 left he is probably my least favorite. I think he's sort of stuck and needs to come up with something new and different.

I didn't like Syesha for weeks and weeks, but between last week and this week, I feel like she's found her style, her niche, and she's really pulled out some great performances. I thoroughly enjoyed "One Rock and Roll Too Many" last week, and "I Thank the Lord for the Night Time" from this week was also well done.

And then we have Brooke White. You know, I think she's a great musician, and my guess is she would be a great songwriter, but she's just not quite there as a singer only. I really like her, and I hope she does well in the world, but I don't think she's quite good enough to win a singing competition. Just like with Jason Castro, I think she'll get a record deal regardless of when she gets kicked off AI, and she'll probably do much better when she can write her own music for her CD.

And now we're down to the Davids. I like them both. A lot. I like David Cook the best. But I think David Archuleta should win. I just think that David A would do better as the AI winner than David Cook with. Call me crazy, but I don't really like American Idol produced CD's. I feel like they don't cater to the artist as much as they should. The AI people know how to write a certain type of song, and if the singer's style doesn't match, too bad. Take Taylor Hicks, for instance. I loved him, loved loved loved him, and I was so happy that he won. And then his CD came out, and it didn't sound at all like something Taylor Hicks would choose to sing. His "hit song" that he sang at the finale was garbage. He needed to be able to sing his own music. We saw him at the Stadium of Fire that year, and he sang an original composition. It was fantastic! I thought his CD would be more of that. But no. And so, I think that David A should win, and David C should record a CD with his own music on it. Because that would be a really good record. I'd probably buy it, and I don't buy CD's much anymore.

As for who will get voted off tonight, I wouldn't be surprised if Brooke left us. Brooke or Jason would be my pick.

5 comments:

Cheryl said...

I totally agree with everything you just wrote.


On a side note, our favorite times to go shopping are during AI (love tivo!) because that's what everyone else is doing. Costco last night was empty and the 4 cashiers weren't doing anything. Well, then everyone else wanted to check out the same time as us. Oh well.

Cheryl said...

I totally agree with everything you just wrote.


On a side note, our favorite times to go shopping are during AI (love tivo!) because that's what everyone else is doing. Costco last night was empty and the 4 cashiers weren't doing anything. Well, then everyone else wanted to check out the same time as us. Oh well.

Sabrina said...

I also agree 100% although I am not sure I like David A quite so much anymore. He is a good singer and seems like a great person, but he hasn't shown much growth. But, I like your idea of having him win. I think he could do a great job with the canned pop candy garbage they make the winners of AI sing. Then, we can enjoy a really great album right off the bat from David C.

Heather Bay said...

David A. kinda bugs me. Maybe it's because he reminds me of a grown up Eddie Munster, or of that weird brother on Step by Step.

Unknown said...

Can't stand David Cook...ugh! He is so incredibly arrogant, I can't even look at him! So, I probobly wouldn't do well as a judge, because I totally would have picked Brooke to win! Basically because she is so cute and sweet and genuine. Yeah, this pretty much is not a singing contest for me. Just a popularity contest. Go Brooke!