Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Underwhelmed

Ah, Christmastime. A season for singing fun songs, eating excellent food, and of course, shopping! (As a side note, I'm really not a big shopper. I only like to shop when I have a specific idea of what I want - window shopping is right out. But that is not what this post is about. So let's get back to it.) When the time comes that you've finally decided what you want to purchase for those lucky souls on your list, where is the first place you think to go in search of said items? That's right - the mall! And so Clark and I went to the mall last night to get some Christmas shopping done. I can't go into too many details of what we were looking for, but we had 3 things on our list, and we felt that the chances were fairly good that we'd find at least 1 of those things. But no. We found zero.

I will say that one of the things we were looking for was a book. Let me tell you a little thing about St George. There are 3 bookstores. The first is Deseret Book, which is a fine store, if you are looking for a church book. And don't go thinking that our Deseret Book is like the ones in SLC, it's rather small. At least the section of non-LDS books is rather small. Next we have B Dalton Booksellers, which is in the mall, and thus is VERY small. We took a quick peek around the store, and soon discovered that there was simply no way that we would find the book we were looking for. The final bookstore is Little Professor Books. I actually really like this bookstore, but again, it's pretty small. They are very helpful, though, and very willing to order in books for you. I just called them - they don't have the book either. They are building a new Barnes and Noble at the mall, but it won't be done for quite a while.

And so, we are stuck. Needless to say, we were rather underwhelmed with the options in the mall. And strangely enough, we had similar results with the mall last Christmas. And we were just talking with some folks in the ward about how St George has every store you need. I guess we'll have to do a bit of last minute shopping once we get up to Salt Lake.

5 comments:

PrincessKatie said...

I don't know how you can't be a fan of shopping! LOL I can't get enough. However I do get annoyed at all the people out this time of year so I don't think i shop as much!

Sabrina said...

I am often disappointed at the mall as well. As you know though, I feel about the same about shopping as you do, no browsing, just get what you want and get out!

Anonymous said...

At least you have a mall. Some of us are not so lucky.

Karen said...

Now I know why I am friends with you!! Hehe..jk, but yeah, unless I have loads of money to spend, shopping is boring...so since I ALWAYS have loads of money to spend...;)

Em said...

Well that stinks. Amazon was having a great "free 2 day shipping" deal...that probably translates into "free 2-week-doesn't-make-it-there-by-Christmas" deal this time of year. Hopefully you find what you need quickly with the plethora of stores in SLC.