Friday, December 21, 2007

"It's festive time in the city."

To me, it feels like this year I have heard more people complaining about the disappearance of the word "Christmas" from the commercial world (Holiday catalogs, wishing everyone a Happy Holiday, etc). Here's an example. I have a hard time understanding why everyone gets so worked up about it. Sure, a business is going to try to include everyone in their ad campaign, and yes, it's so they can get more money. They are a business. That's what a business does. It just seems a little over the top to me, to complain so much about something that's been going on for years now, and really isn't offensive.

Last night, I heard on the radio about some Canadian elementary school who decided to change the lyrics of Silver Bells (by substituting the word "Christmas" with "festive") for their Christmas concert. Now, I think that is somewhat over the top (yes, I believe I would even call it ridiculous), and I might even complain about it. But I wouldn't be irate. I wouldn't leave a nasty message on the school's answering machine. Come on, folks, it's the Christmas season! If you care that much that the word "Christmas" stays in our vocabulary, then I'm assuming that you're Christian, and that's no way to act!

As a side note, they also aired a comment sent in by a Muslim woman who thinks that they should just leave the word Christmas where it is. She's not offended by it. To her, Christmas is a time when her husband has the day off work, and they can spend time together as a family. And there is nothing wrong with that. I thought that was interesting. So there is a point for the protesters. But a calmly made one.

No comments: