Friday, December 14, 2007

3 Tales

I have a few short stories for you from today.

An Icy Beginning

Today I got to go to Megan's house for a little crocheting and conversation. We used to get together a couple times a week over the summer and go swimming, but then pregnancy hit me hard, and I was out of commission for a few months. Now I'm back in the game, and I go over there once a week. I really look forward to seeing her, and just having someone to talk to during the day. And her girls are a lot of fun, too.

So this morning, I was all set to head on over there at 10:00. I often walk over there, because she doesn't live very far away, but today I had a doctor's appointment at noon, so I opted to drive. I don't drive my car very often, these days. And we live in St George. So I didn't even think about the fact that it was cold last night, and there might be ice on my car. Particularly at 10am on a sunny day. So I headed on out, to find that my car was most definitely covered in ice. Don't worry, it was the only car in the parking lot that had ice still, compliments of my shady spot. So I turned on the car, got the defrost going, and went to scrape some ice off. But dagummit, we seem to have taken all ice scrapers out of my car and put them in Clark's. So what did I do? I sat in my car for a while until the back window was defrosted. Then I kicked it into reverse and backed up into the sunshine. Then I sat in the sun for a few minutes until the ice melted on the windshield and most of the other windows. But there was one lousy window that just wouldn't give it up. In the end, I rolled it down, and drove on my merry way. Problem solved. It only took 5-10 minutes. About the time it would have taken me to walk over there. But oh well, I needed the car for the way home anyway.

The Beating of My Heart

The doctor of the day was my cardiologist. I see him once a trimester, just to get his input on how things are going. So here's how the appointment went: Show up at noon (right on schedule), and pay a co-pay of $25. Sit in the waiting room for 20 minutes. Head on back with the Medical Assistant, who weighs me, takes my blood pressure and pulse, and updates the list of all my medications. Then I waited for maybe one minute before the doctor came in (they get kudos for that one). He asks how I'm feeling (fine), takes a little listen to my heart, and says that I seem to be doing really well. He asks if I have any questions (I had one, which he answered), and then says he'd like to see me in about 10 weeks. And there you go. That was it. I'm glad to have the news that I'm doing well, it's good peace of mind. And I like my cardiologist, he's a good guy. It's just funny to me that it probably took longer for me to set up my next appointment than it did for him to tell me I was doing well. But the end result is still the same: I'm not in heart failure. And that is a good thing.

The Box Saga

I had to mail a package today (I am really sorry to the Lowes if it doesn't get there before Christmas; it should, it really should!), but I didn't have a box. So I decided to bip on over to the UPS store and purchase one. They are very close to home, and I figured that they would most definitely have a box. However, I decided to go there right after my visit to the cardiologist, so I didn't know what size of box I needed. I went in and picked out a box, and the guy said that I could always come back and exchange it for a different size if I needed to. Turns out I needed to. I grossly overestimated how large this box needed to be. I needed a 12x12x12 box. I got a 18x16x12 box. Whoops! But I figured, hey, no big deal, I'll just take it back and exchange it. And I did. Now here is the weird part of this story: the smaller box cost $0.10 more than the larger box. Does this make sense to anyone else? The guy was actually really cool, and said not to worry about the difference. I just thought it was odd. Smaller box = more money. Go figure.

No comments: