Monday, December 03, 2007

Edumication!

Doesn't it seem like when you are in school all you want to do is graduate? That you can't wait for the day when you don't have homework and classes and tests? But almost immediately after I graduated (well, maybe a few months after), I missed it. I didn't miss the tests, and there were certain classes that I never want to think about again (think O-chem), but I missed the learning. And I still do. It's been a sort of quest of mine to keep myself somewhat educated, but I've been sadly lacking lately. Mostly I have just tried to read good books and listen to more informative podcasts. But I want to do something more.

Yesterday I finally told Clark of my desire, and he asked me, "What do you want to learn?" That is a key question. That might be the worst part of school, having to take classes that you just don't care about. So I decided that I'd like to know more about art history. He suggested I try to find a textbook from the library. I was a bit wary, the Washington County library system doesn't exactly have the largest collection. But they have the textbook he suggested, Gardner's Art Through the Ages. So I'm on my way!

The only thing I'll be missing out on is the social interaction that a class would facilitate - the lecture and discussion. So if anyone wants to join me on my quest, I'm open to learning just about anything. We could have an online forum of sorts to discuss what we learn. It would be like a book club, but online. Of course, no one has the free-time that I have, so I don't expect anyone to jump at the chance to add more to their hectic lifestyle. But know that the offer is out there.

And to go along with all this, today I'm thankful for my degree. I might not use it much, but the fact that I have it says something.

5 comments:

Sabrina said...

I'm in! I miss school so much too. You may have a little more free time than me, but I am pretty available!

Suzanne said...

I own a copy of Gardner's, too! I'll even let you borrow the Lego man so you can have a study buddy.

Em said...

That's such a great idea! I maybe might some day check the book out from the library. Until then I would love to read comments and contribute nothing. Sounds like fun.

Clark said...

Nice to see the Brasilians have found your blog, too. In case anyone cares, the comment seems to be a harmless advertisement, though I didn't check any of the links. It is advertising internet access (in 2100 cities across Brazil!) that pays you for being on the internet. (No doubt by flinging ads at you.) So, if you need to make about 8 cents US per hour, give them a call!

Also, I'm all for art history discussion, but at the first usage of the word "curvilinear" I'm out of here.

Adam Lowe said...

I don't have Gardner's but Wikipedia should suffice. Right?