Saturday, August 06, 2011

30 by 30, #20: Make a denim quilt

In case you aren't familiar with the 30 by 30 Project, here is the original post, with the big fat list.

I've had a bin of old jeans sitting around since. . . well, since we moved to St George at least, maybe since we got married. A ridiculously long period of time. The plan was to make a denim quilt. I've been full of intentions and devoid of actions. I started cutting squares, oh, 2 years ago maybe. And then I never finished. So the time had come to actually get some work done.

I kind of feel like this is a 30 by 30 fail, because it's not a quilt yet. I still have to put something on the back and then quilt it. But there is a small problem, in that I don't really know how to do any of that, especially when I don't have any frames. Even if I did have frames, I'm still not sure where to begin on that project. So, fail.

But then again, I did complete the big nasty task of cutting all those squares and sewing them together. The big bin can now be re-purposed for something else. And really, that's what I was going for. So, not fail. Completion.

Here it is, the product of a bucketload of sewing during naptime.

It feels so good to have that dang quilt done (almost)!

1 comment:

Sabrina said...

Adie's quilt is about 5 years in the making. In fact, both the front and back are done, the batting is inserted and I have started pinning the whole dang thing together. It's ridiculous how long it's taken me to get the darn thing done. In any case, good work getting it pieced. That is big, fat piece of work. You should totally just have someone quilt it for you. Tons of people do it for a fairly reasonable price. Then, you can truly say you have finished. I know a ton of quilters who never do their owning actually quilting. They just do the piecing part, so really, I think that counts and, wow, this turned out to be a really long comment. Sorry about that.