Friday, May 01, 2009

The Spohrs, Part II

OK, so remember my grand plan from last week to give to the local NICU in honor of Maddie Spohr? Well, to those of you who want to help, here are some specific ideas on how to do that.

1) You can donate money. Do you need instructions on that one? If you do, email me. Now, I recognize that most people who read this blog aren't raking in the dough, so. . .

2) You can donate products. I've put together a list of some good ideas. I'm thinking that I'll try to make at least 5 bags/kits, and a lot of these products are pretty inexpensive. Being a coupon clipper, I've been looking for coupons and deals on these things. Here's the list:
  • hand lotion (EXTREME CARE)
  • chap stick
  • Kleenex
  • antibacterial lotion
  • energy bars
  • gum, mints, mouth wash
  • tooth brush & toothpaste
  • hairbrush
  • wet wipes
  • oatmeal cookies (oatmeal is good for breast milk production)
  • a notebook & pen to be a journal of thoughts, treatments, etc
  • Comfortable clothes (those of you who have given birth know that nothing fits right after, so things like sweats or yoga pants would be so nice)
  • Button down shirts and hoodies for Kangaroo care
  • Disposable camera (so the nurses can take pictures while you are away)
  • Trail Mix
  • Nice bottle for water
  • Crossword puzzle
3) You can donate FOOD. As you might have noticed, oatmeal cookies, trail mix, and energy bars are on the list above, though I think any food would be welcome. And it's also been suggested to supply treats for the nurses, because really, they are the ones running the hospital. So there you go: food.

4) Time. This one is really only feasible for those who live in the area, but I'm thinking it would be fun to have someone to go shopping with, to help put the kits together (including figuring out how to cute-sify a plain looking bag), and to help me drop them off. Especially that last one. Did you know that I'm painfully shy? The prospect of showing up at the hospital and not knowing where to go or who to talk to terrifies me, even though I'm bearing gifts. So yeah, I would LOVE someone to help with that.

OK, so there you go, that's the plan. I'm thinking that it could be nice to get it over there for Mother's Day, but I don't know if I can get it together by them, so maybe right after. So if you want to do something, send it along by next Friday. Or, if it comes late, maybe I'll do another batch later. In any event, I'm really excited about this project, even if I do it all on my own.

3 comments:

Holly said...

Hey Shannon! I'd LOVE to help you with this project. I volunteer to do some cute bags and help you deliver them. We can even go shopping together too. Just let me know when you are thinking of doing it... I have family in town this weekend, baby blessing, a graduation, etc. so next week would probably be better for me. This is such a good idea! I have a good friend who just checked into the hospital today, she is 32 weeks pregnant with twins and she is in labor... they are hoping she can make it at least two more weeks. Anyway, I just think this is a really good idea. Happy Friday!

Melissa said...

Shanny, I've got 6 partial kits that I'll hopefully mail to you tomorrow. I just got the little stuff, and there is not a drop of antibacterial anything left here in Texas because of the flu. Also, I didn't buy any, but there are $1 disposable cameras at Target, but they say "bachelor party" or "wedding" on them. But $1! I'm sending my stuff on the slow boat, but it should get there in time.

Sabrina said...

I love that you're doing an online service project. I'll email you about my contribution