Tuesday, November 11, 2008

And That's Why I Don't Talk Politics

Today at the park I was chatting with one of my friends, and the topic of guns came up. Generally, I disagree with most Utahns on this subject, and generally I just keep my mouth shut and nod politely. In fact, this is how I respond to most political conversations, just listen to what the other person has to say and leave it at that. But today I decided to actually voice my opinion. And it was indeed not the same as her opinion.

In the moment, I was proud of myself for speaking up and saying what I think. But ever since, I've been feeling so bad, hoping I didn't offend her, replaying the conversation, hoping my side of it made sense, and really, really feeling bad. I just don't like confrontation, and I want everyone to get along.

And so, my friends, that is why you will never get political posts on this blog. 5 minutes of conversation = 24 hours of stewing. Can you imagine if the conversation was drawn out in blog posts and comments? I'd be a constant little ball of worry.

2 comments:

Celeste said...

I feel exactly the same way.

Adam Lowe said...

Luckily the season for such dust-ups is almost past, and then we can all go back to normal for four years.

(Or three, or maybe even two, as campaign season just keeps getting longer and longer.)