Thursday, February 07, 2008

Hooded Blanket

I finally did it. I completed my hooded blanket project! I decided I wanted to learn to crochet about 2 1/2 years ago, and so I purchased a little kit complete with hooks and patterns with big letters on the front: I Taught Myself to Crochet! And I bought a pound of yarn for the pattern I liked best - the Hooded Blanket. I decided that I would have the blanket done before we had our first child, it was my goal. I figured, how hard can it be? As it turns out, it's a lot harder to teach yourself to crochet than you might think. Christy helped me learn the basics (single crochet and double crochet stitching), and from that I made a scarf (which I love, but I never wear, because I now live in St George). I thought I was then ready to tackle the blanket. I got it out, started it, and knotted yarn ensued. I got like 2 rows in, and gave up. 2 rows that were very much not what they were supposed to be, I might add. And so it sat, waiting for the day when I'd get motivated again.

Well, thanks my friend Megan and our "Thursday Crochet hour," I finished it this week. And I think it's cute. And really, now that I look back on it, I just needed that little bit of extra help getting started, and then it was pretty easy. It's a good thing that we had our bout with infertility, otherwise I am pretty sure I would not have reached my goal. And I even have 9 weeks to spare! My next project: baby booties.

1 comment:

Sabrina said...

So cute! Congratulations on learning to crochet. That is an awesome skill.