Monday, July 09, 2007

I'm a member

It's begun. I have started to go to the gym.

I know, I know, we all thought this day would never come. I hate exercising, just hate it. But I've come to realize that the problem isn't that I hate exercising, it's that I need to be distracted while I'm exercising. That is why dance was always so great for me, it engaged my brain in something other than the fact that my legs are giving out and I'm gasping for air. So I've decided that going to a gym is an excellent because they have a) aerobics classes, which are kind of like dance classes, and b) a cardiocinema room where you can do the elliptical/treadmill while watching a movie. It's a good thing. I also have some motivation to go, because as you all know (at least I think you all know) I've got a heart condition that could be benefited by an increase in cardiovascular activity. So I'm going to do it, and I think I'm going to like it.

I joined about a week ago, and then we went out of town, so today was the first official work out day. I went in after going on my morning walk (I figured that was a good warm up, right?), and I was all set to just do the elliptical machine. And then I read the sign saying that the cardiocinema was out of order. DOH! I still did the elliptical for 20 minutes (10 forward and 10 back), but I just got bored after that. I also figure that it's good to start somewhere, and I did get myself to the point that I felt my heart beating in my throat, so that's good I guess. Hopefully next time I'll get to watch a movie while doing it.

No comments: