Tuesday, July 17, 2007

I have the power!

Yesterday at about 4:25, our power flickered, and at 4:30, our power was OUT. Normally when I think of power outages, I think of how nice it is to have no TV, and the fact that you have to be a little creative with your time. And they usually occur during a storm or something. But this outage was caused by a wildfire. In the middle of July. In St George. It got pretty warm pretty quick. By 5:15 I was laying on the floor downstairs, trying not to think about the heat. It took Clark quite a while to make it home in the traffic, since all the lights were out. I guess almost all of Washington County was out of power, it was pretty crazy. Neither of us had much gas in our cars, and you couldn't go fill it up anywhere. And we didn't have a battery-powered radio. Dinner consisted of cereal for Clark and dry ramen noodles for me. There were just so many little things that I didn't ever really think about before, but now I'm going to try to be more prepared. One of the first things I'm going to do is buy a radio. Anyway, we waited for a little while, and then went over to the Porters to hang out, have FHE, and try our best to stay cool. Eventually it started raining, which was a welcome relief. And we even had a killer lightning storm! The power came back on at around 8:30ish, so it wasn't terribly long without it, but I for one was glad that it didn't go off earlier in the day, it was hot enough. It really made me grateful for electricity and all the luxuries it affords us.

No comments: