Wednesday, May 16, 2007

"I'm seventeen!"

And Clark always thought he married an older woman.

Last night I tagged along with the youth in our ward to take a tour of the Jacob Hamblin Home. I may have seen the home before, but it was so long ago that I don't remember. Since Clark is now in the YM Presidency, along with our friend Brandon, and Danielle is in YW, I figured it wouldn't be such a big deal if I came along. And it wasn't, it was a good time. I was really glad to take the little tour, learn a little bit more about Jacob Hamblin himself, and just feel a little bit more connected with St George.

After the tour was over, we were chatting with the guide about how cotton came down here and thus gave the name Dixie to everything around, such as the college and the high school, etc. That nice old man looked at me and asked if I went to Dixie. This is a common mistake. In fact, just earlier in the day someone had asked me if I was in college, which I guess I should take as a compliment. Normally I just correct people, tell them I actually graduated from BYU 4 years ago, and I almost always get a, "Wow, you don't look that old." So I'm used to it. Back to the story at hand. I think he might have sensed that he was wrong in his assumption, so he then asked, "Are you out of high school?" Um, whoa, please tell me I look older than 18. And let's think about the fact that I am standing there, holding hands with Clark, who has a beard. I really hope it doesn't look like a YM leader is going out with one of the YW. I guess the other alternative is that we are both youth, and Clark is a rebel 18-year-old with a beard. I don't know. I was just taken aback by his comment. He apologized, of course, when I told him how old I really am, and I don't have any harsh feelings. But man alive, high school? I haven't gotten a comment like that in 3 or 4 years.

Bonus points if you can name the movie the title of this post comes from.

5 comments:

alisquire said...

How funny that he still thought you were in high school. I haven't gotten a comment like that in a while, but I've had my share. The worst was when I was a jr. in college and Abby's friend's dad was at our house. He was trying to do some small talk and asked, "Are you in jr. high yet?" Pretty much that would mean that I would be 12. Honestly! He was really embarrassed when he found out my real age.

Suzanne said...

My random guess? Sound of Music.

Anyway, I'm glad I'm not the only one being mistaken for a high school student. It was bad enough 5 years ago when I was student teaching at Jordan High, but it's really weird that it's still happening now. I was judging the SL valley science fair last month and someone stopped me on my way out to door and asked if I was an entrant. I stared at him blankly for a moment, and then told him I was a judge. You could tell he felt pretty silly. I laughed all the way to the car.

Melissa said...

I remember when I was a sophomore at BYU and doing my homework at McDonald's, someone asked me if I was a senior. I was surprised they thought I was so old and told them I was a sophomore. They totally accepted that but then asked which high school I went to. Oh, a senior in HIGH SCHOOL, is what you meant? I had to show them my BYU ID to get them to believe that I even went to college.
I continued to be confused with a high school student until about the time my second kid came along (except, of course, when I was preggers.) Maybe the fact that I worked at McDonald's influenced them.
Sadly, I no longer have this problem.

Anonymous said...

It rarely happens to me anymore, but last weekend an old lady at the park was very sad for me, already having a baby when I can't be over 19. That's the lowest age guess I've gotten in a long, long time.

Shanny said...

Just FYI, the title is from Never Been Kissed. Funny, funny show.