Monday, May 14, 2007

Grafton, UT

This weekend, we had the Adamses come visit. Good times! We went to Zion, saw lots of stuff there, and then headed over to Grafton, UT, in search of a grave. Grafton is a ghost town somewhat close to Rockville, and I found out just a few weeks ago that one of my ancestors is buried there. And so we went. And we found it!

Byram Lee Bybee was my great-great-great-grandfather. Cool, huh?


It was actually really cool to see the graveyard, there are a lot of old headstones, some of them you can't read at all. And some of the mounds don't even have a headstone, it's kind of sad. I was really grateful that someone had taken the time to make up a nice, new headstone for good old Byram.
And this is an old house in "town." They've got a restoration project going, they want to restore the town. I think that's great and all, but I just don't know how much sense it makes to rebuild this tiny town. But I do think it's important to remember our heritage, so I could get behind a compilation of Grafton's history. Anyway, it was a great experience. And a fun weekend overall.

1 comment:

tysqui said...

My grandparents have a house in La Verkin and when I was little we would go to Grafton almost every visit. There used to be a lot more there than there is now, but vandals have destroyed much of it. The schoolhouse and cemetary are still very interesting though.