Monday, May 07, 2007

Anniversary

As noted earlier, our anniversary was on Saturday, and we had quite a bit going on. To start our day, we had some Ma and Pa Pioneer Trek training. Saturday was the day we saw a chicken killed, skinned, gutted, and cut up. Not the most romantic thing. In fact, it was pretty gross. The night before I was asking Clark if he thought it would be messy, and he said, "No. I don't think they'll actually kill a chicken. I mean, we'll be in a park, you can't kill a chicken in a park." Oh, but you can. And they did. Ripped it's head right off. It was hard for me to watch as well, but I knew one of us had to keep our eyes open. Turns out our kids will be in charge of killing the chickens, we don't have to do it, but we do have to supervise, talk them through it, watch. The stake leaders had mentioned before that the kids would be in charge of pushing the handcarts as well, we wouldn't have to touch them, but I guess they haven't had as many kids sign up to come as they had thought, so they said some Ma's and Pa's would have to help out with that. I'm really quite tempted to send them an email saying that we'd be happy to push the cart, no problem, as long as they give us a kid who can kill a chicken. Because neither one of us can do it. Just can't. I'm fairly certain of that. Unless they want people passing out.

After that traumatic experience, we went to Daylight Donuts and got a dozen glazed for a dollar (a dollar!), because we'd both been wanting one for quite some time. And they were tasty. What a good promotion, on their part, because now I know where they are, and I'm pretty sure I'll go back.

A little later, my dear friend Amber came to visit. It was so good to see her and talk to her, it had been far too long. And we got some Yo-Cream. Excellent stuff, that is.

And to round the day out, we had a ward Cinco de Mayo Fiesta! It was a good time, there was tons of food, lots of people, we had fun. We also started a ward fast together, which was good. But it also meant that we couldn't really go out after the party (which is why we went out to dinner on Friday night). We were stuffed, anyway. So we came home, and watched TV. We actually watched movies, but they were movies on TV. It was fun. Oh, and Clark bought me Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. So now I can learn all the Oompa Loompa dances! WOO! All in all a great anniversary. And I had Gene singing "Happy Anniversary" to the William Tell Overture in my head all day long.

1 comment:

Sabrina said...

I am so glad my dad could be a part of your day :) I have to chime in on the killing the chicken thing. I am all for the pioneer trek, but I don't think the killing of live poultry is necessary to teach them more about the pioneers. It's not like killing chickens like that only happened on the trail. That was how you lived life. Our society has since changed and I am forever grateful for those that can stomach jobs at slaughterhouses, because I sure couldn't. I have a hard enough time working with raw meat, when it resembles nothing of the original animal. Anyway, I find it highly unnecessary to make that part of any pioneer trek experience.