Thursday, February 15, 2007

Jane Eyre

Clark and I recently discovered that we really do have a lot of books on our shelves. Not as many as some, but still, a lot. After a closer look, we also realized that we have a fair number of books that neither one of us has ever read, as well as books that one of us has read but not the other. And so we decided that maybe our future readings should come from our own library. Granted, I might not read all of Clark's nerd books (you can only take so much), but some of them really do seem interesting. And so I began the process last night by choosing a book that I've already read. What?! But no, let me explain. I have decided to re-read Jane Eyre (I can't find the underline, so italics will have to do). The last time I read that book I was 15 or so. So it has been 10 years. And I really don't remember it all well. Plus, that book has a history in my relationship with Clark. One of the first real conversations we ever had was about Jane Eyre. Of course, I was arguing that it was a good book, and Clark was arguing that it was the most terrible book ever written, but still. It got us talking. And we were talking about it again last night, the same argument, when it came out that Clark has never actually read the book! So he doesn't even know! Here he is talking about how awful it is, how much he hates it, and he's never even read the whole thing! Blah blah blah, read the first 100 pages, saw a movie, read reviews, BALONEY, he has never read the book! So then I just had to pick it up and read it, so that I can once again be the proper authority on the book, you know, being the one in our family who has actually read it.

And while we're talking about books, we seem to be missing some. Every year for Valentine's Day I give Clark a cute little book, and we can't find any of them. I Like You, Consider Love, and The Dot and The Line are the ones that come to mind. So if you guys have found an odd stack of those books, let us know, maybe they are ours? And while we're on the subject, we are also missing silver pens and Clark's LED flashlight. Any help on locating the missing objects will be rewarded.

4 comments:

Clark said...

i was going to comment, but I've got too much to say. See my blog.

Suzanne said...

I'm with Clark on this one. That book is just too horrible to finish! He made it farther than I did.

Sabrina said...

I loved Jane Eyre. Wuthering Heights, written by the other Bronte sister, is one I would recommend passing, and yes, I've read that whole book too.

alisquire said...

I haven't read Jane Eyre since jr. high, so I don't really remember it, but I've been meaning to re-read it. It seems to be the type of book that is right up my alley. I'm sure there's a reason that it's a classic. I also loved Wuthering Heights. We read it in AP English and most people hated it, but I really enjoyed it.