Friday, February 23, 2007

High School Musical

Yesterday I had the pleasure of watching "High School Musical." Now, I was fully prepared for all the cheesiness involved, for the over the top acting, for the bursting into song, I had been told all about it, and being thus prepared, I thought it was a good movie. Really, I actually liked it. I can see how other people (my husband in particular) wouldn't like it, but I actually did like it. It probably didn't hurt that they filmed it at my high school, so I had the bonus experience of knowing exactly what hall they were in at all times. Except for the "plant patio," I don't really know what that is all about. And I will say that they made the school look a lot nicer than I remember it looking, especially the auditorium. That place has some nasty seats, but they somehow just made it look nice. But really, I thought the show was cute, fun, and entertaining, even if it was a bit over the top. Very much a high school movie and a musical mixed together, which can both be good, but can also both be cheesy.

And during the filming was probably a record as to the number of black kids in that school at the same time.

And one more thing. One of the girls in the movie, I guess you could call her the "villain," could not straighten her legs while she was dancing for the life of her. And it drove me nuts! For another example of this, watch "White Christmas", that girl can't straighten her pencil thin legs either.

3 comments:

Sabrina said...

I actually want to watch that movie too, but I am sure Brett doesn't. I'll have to make it one of my daytime movie ventures. Today Adie and I are going to watch Guys and Dolls. I've never seen it and supposedly Adelaide is one of the main characters, so we have to check it out!

alisquire said...

We watched that show a few weeks ago on the Disney Channel. The bottom of the screen kept showing comments of kids ages 8-13 writing in about how much they love the show. It's definitely more geared toward the pre-teen age group, but it wasn't too bad. I read that it was filmed at East High and Murray High, but since Murray is a different school from when I went, I didn't recognize anything.

W.L.Platt said...

I have heard about the movie but haven't seen it yet. Now that I know it was filmed at East I will have a look. And I will be watching the unstraight legs. Thanks for the tip!