Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Pain, or the lack thereof.

All my life I've considered myself a wuss. I just don't deal well with pain, and I let people know about it. And I also have no qualms about popping a couple of ibuprofen if something aches - anything to make it feel better. I have what I'd call a low pain tolerance.

And so I'm kind of confused. Remember how I broke my toe? Now that sounds terribly painful. But, in all honesty, it hasn't been that bad. It looked worse than it felt when it happened. And I have a limp only because of the shoe, not because of any real pain. Sure, it's a little bruised, and I baby it, but mostly I baby it because I'm worried that I'll screw it up if I don't. Everyone keeps telling me about the time they broke a toe and it hurt SO DANG BAD, and they are so sorry that I'm going through this incredibly painful experience. And then I have to say that it really hasn't been all that bad, I'm fine. I took 2 ibuprofen the night it happened, mostly because I didn't want to wake up in the middle of the night and have to hobble downstairs to get some medication (yes, the smart thing to do would be to bring the medication upstairs, but I didn't think it through until just now).

And remember how I gave birth? And while the contractions were NOT fun, and rather painful, after I had the baby I felt pretty darn good. Sure, there was some pain, I was achy, but it wasn't that bad. I took some motrin at the hospital, and that was it. The doctor sent me home with a prescription for some fat old motrin pills, but I never filled it. And when he gave it to me, he asked if I was sure that would be strong enough for the pain, and told me not to hesitate if I needed something stronger. Totally didn't need it.

What the heck is going on here?!

Am I getting better about dealing with pain? Or am I just lucky enough to not have that much pain in the first place? I'm not sure. But I'll take it.

No comments: