Wednesday, June 18, 2008

2 Months!

Yesterday Julia had her 2 month check-up. 2 months! I don't know how I feel - it feels like she's been here forever, but at the same time, I can't believe how much she's grown up already. It goes by so fast. Anyway, everyone is interested in the stats, so here are her percentiles: 81% for weight, 82% for length, and 64% for head circumference. Yes, we have a chubby little baby, and I love it! Clark and I aren't sure, but she might be the biggest Blockburger grandbaby. . . well, we know she's bigger than Lauren was, I guess we should ask Melissa. Hey, Melissa, were any of your kids that big? In any event, everything is great, normal, no ear infections. We can take her swimming but she shouldn't be in the sun very much, so basically, if she sticks with me, we'll be ok :). I even asked about torticollis, because I seem to know a lot of kids who've had that, and she does look to her left an awful lot. The doctor noticed that she likes to look to the left, but she said we're not to the point yet where there is a problem. Her head is round, and her neck isn't stiff. So I'm going to try and turn her head to the right more often, and give her interesting things to look at to her right side. All is well.

And then she had her immunizations. I was pretty nervous about how that would go, I've heard so many of my friends say they needed to bring their husbands in because it was so traumatic. The shots themselves weren't too bad. OK, lies, I felt really bad when they poked her, and she was NOT A HAPPY CAMPER, but she calmed down in only a few minutes, and I was able to go home with a peaceful baby. And then, once we'd been home for a few hours, we entered into what I call Major Meltdown Mode. Wow wow wow wow. It was AWFUL. She was screaming and screaming and screaming, and I could not for the life of me get her to calm down. Not even to eat! She loves eating! It's what she does best! Nope, she wouldn't even eat, she was so upset. I love how after the fact, quite a few people asked me if I'd given her Tylenol before going in. Yeah, obviously the thought never crossed my mind. And, in fact, we didn't even have any baby Tylenol in the house. How we managed to go through checklist after checklist of what we'll need for when the baby comes and never even thought to pick up some Tylenol, I'll never know. So, at one point I just put Julia down and went in the other room, because we were both crying, and I knew I was starting to lose it. Apparently she is the type of person who doesn't want attention when she's sick, because she somehow managed to calm herself down and fall asleep, although it did take a while. Clark picked up some Tylenol on his way home from work, and that helped oodles. I was exhausted, though. To all you people who have had colicky babies: I am so so so so SOOOOOOOOOOOOO sorry for you! How have you not killed yourselves? I was dying after 1 afternoon, how could you do this for months? By far the worst experience in parenthood thus far.

Today I have my happy, smiling baby back. I have never been so happy to see her.

As a side note, we used the valet parking at the doctor's office (because the office is in the hospital, and the valet parking is FREE!). I thought it would be such a time saver, because you don't have to find a parking spot, and then haul the child and all her stuff into the building. And it does save you time when you arrive, which can be a major bonus if you are running slightly late and your doctor's office has a 10-minutes-late-you-reschedule policy. But after your appointment is over, you'd better not be in a rush. I got back out to find no one manning the valet station. And when he finally came out, he didn't see me (even though I was standing right in front of his booth), and was dinking around with a wheelchair for a while. When he finally did see me (only because I walked right up to him and said, "Um, I need my car, or at least the keys to my car, because I need to go"), he asked if I still had the ticket, so I started digging around in my diaper bag, at which point he says, "Well, it's ok, what's your last name?" So I stop looking in the diaper bag and tell him and he starts looking around in his key locker, and after a minute he looks up and says, "Did you find it yet?" Um, hello, you said we could just use my last name, what exactly were you doing in there? I know there aren't any other Blockburgers in there, amid all 5 sets of keys. But then I remembered where I'd put the ticket, so I pulled it out, and we got the right keys. So then he goes to get the car, which takes quite a while, but at least I don't have to trek across the parking lot in the hot sun with a baby, right? Oh wait! We live in St George! It's still sweltering hot in the shade! The shade that I've been standing in for 15 minutes because Mr. Valet is so slow! I was only slightly frustrated. In case you couldn't tell. But at least Julia wasn't in Major Meltdown Mode yet, now that would have been a nightmare.

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO SUZANNE yesterday. Sorry we didn't call. We're jerks. But hopefully you got something in the mail!

6 comments:

Cheryl said...

You're hilarious. Yeah, those first appointments are a pain. So are shots. But Zachary is great with them. I've given him all of his shots so far. Yes, I do feel bad when he's screaming all those hours later and it's all my fault. Just keep pouring the Tylenol down her throat every 4-6 hours! (Oh, and Target brand is just as good and half the price!)

Suzanne said...

I DID get something in the mail. Thank you very much!

Melissa said...

I doubt that any of my kids were ever that big in their entire lives, but you'd have to tell me her poundage for me to check. I didn't keep track of percentages, especially since most of the time they weren't even on the charts! Benjamin was my most normal kid, so he might have been.

Shanny said...

Julia's poundage is 12lbs, .5 oz. Just for comparison's sake.

Em said...

Glad you have your happy baby back! We had a simillar experience with McKenna when she got her first shots, except we were a little more paranoid (Brian's had a really bad near death allergic reaction to some immunization when he was a kid) and took her back to the Dr office when she started her shriek fest.

At the pediatrician's they asked when the last time we gave her tylenol was. I though "who just thinks of THAT?" We left with a drugged happy baby, and better instructions for future shots.

I'm so glad they give such great instructions to all first time parents. Argh.

Melissa said...

OK, at two months my kids were 10lbs 10oz, 11lbs 7oz, 11lbs 7oz, 9lbs 3oz. Actually, Timothy's was about 2 1/2 weeks late and Amy's was about a week early. My! She was tiny!