Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Blind as a. . .

I went to the opthamologist this morning. As you may have noticed, I've been wearing my glasses since my pregnancy began. My contacts just haven't worked as well as they used to. But I hate my glasses. I feel like Pam in a recent episode of The Office:

Michael Scott: Pam. Those make you look so ugly. Uhh, Pam in order to get hotter you take the glasses off. You're moving in the wrong direction.

Pam Beasley: I don't have my contacts--

Michael Scott: Dah, dah, dah. I can't even hear you. It's just noise coming out of an ugly scientist.

Needless to say, I've been very much looking forward to the return of the contacts.

Here is my big problem with the eye doctor: I feel like a failure. They administer the one test that I will never be able to pass, no matter how hard I try. So I went in, and they put all the letters up on the wall, asked me to read the lowest row I could. Much to my embarrassment, I had to say, "I can't even read the top row." This is with my glasses on, folks. So he put some bigger ones up, and I could read the bottom row on that. The 20/40 row. It's so sad to know that my vision with correction is just barely good enough to pass the driving test. Does that make you nervous to have me on the road?

Then they did some more testing ("One or two? Two or three? Two or four?"), and decided that yes, I am quite near-sighted, and no, they can't get me any better than 20/40. Checked the pressure, all is well. Then doctor man came in (it was his assistant up until now) and shined (shone?) a lot of bright lights into my eyes. And then they did some laser thing to check out the inside of my eyes, I'd never done that before. And in the end doctor man decided that most likely the reason I can't wear my contacts is my eyes are dry, probably due to all the hormones. So he gave me some drops and sent me on my way. I've been wearing the contacts for a couple of hours now, and I think the left one is great, the drops helped a lot, but the right one still seems kind of fuzzy. I'll give it a few days, maybe it'll pan out by then. Heck, maybe it'll improve by this afternoon, when my eyes aren't dilated anymore. Good thing it's summer and I sit in my house with the blinds drawn all day. No, I'm not a vampire.

4 comments:

Alex said...

I'm sorry your eyes are so problamatic... Too bad you don't live here and use my doctors, I would have been that assistant doing all those tests today! Hopefully after you're done breastfeeding, your hormones will settle and your cl's will work better. We see that all the time, so there's hope! By the way, you do NOT look ugly in glasses!

PrincessKatie said...

GOtta love being blind! I hate it and after my pregnancy it just went down hill. HOpefully the drops will help so you can wear contacts again. Glasses areso annoying and I loved taht episode of the office!

Karen said...

Holy crap Shan, I feel your pain! I don't know what my corrected vision is, but if I want to see anything with my contacts out, I have to put it about 4 inches from my freakin' face! Plus I use a couple different types of eye drops every day cuz apparently I've developed eye allergies to contacts. So yes, I can truly empathize!

Emily said...

Oh my gosh. I loved that Office episode, that part almost had me laughing so hard I was almost in tears! I feel your pain with the poor vision, my Dr runs tons of tests too & for one of them he straps this funny light to his forehead and shines it in my eyes while I try not to go into a fit of giggles! Hope it gets better soon!